Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 13 Weeks!

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

We're into September; we are into a new month! I know, my kiddo started school yesterday and with the temps like they are even here in NYC and meeting new teachers and getting back into the packing lunch groove, holiday festivities and cold weather and Rudolph and gingerbread houses are the last thing on everyone's mind. But it's week 13, folks! Last week, we swapped ideas on where to take that holiday photo...now how about that holiday card itself?

Look online. There are great sites like Vistaprint or Apple or Shutterfly that have great photo card options. Also, you don't need to settle for just one photo - many have the collage option, which I know quite a few moms have used to highlight each kiddo in the family (that way not everyone has to look good in ONE photo).

Get a good printer. This is actually a tip that can last you all year long. You can do a photo card on your own. A good quality printer that can handle thick paper, print quality photos and scan items can be used for invitations, artwork, anything. Might be worth it to invest now.

Head to the craft store. You'd be surprised as to what you can find at the local Michael's - stamps, stencils, interesting textured paper - again, stuff you may be able to use year-round. I love the idea of an outline of your family initial as a background for your year-round-up letter or to put as the edge of a photo card.

Do you send holiday cards? Where do you get them done or do you do them yourself?

ŠiStockphoto.com/FuatKose

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShiLeaga
by New Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:38 AM

i actually havent sent out holidays cards but i would love to. i just get caught up in so many things that i never get around to it. I also want to take professional family photos but im not sure where to start.

CameronsMommy23
by Amber on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:52 AM
I used to hand write regular holiday cards bc I thought it was more special. The last 2 yrs since I had my twins I've made photo college cards & printed them out at Wal Mart or Walgreens. We do one family pic, a pic of each kid, & a pic of me & dh together. Then I just have to address them and send em out. Lol ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:11 AM

I don't do photo cards.

I'm cheap.  I just buy cards from the store, although 1 year I designed and printed them myself using Create A Card.

kellynh
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:31 AM
I send them... But I just buy the cards from Walmart...lol
cjsmom1
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:38 AM
I normally don't send cards, but I will this year. Ds will be missing both front teeth so I think it'll be a cute picture.
jbyrd898
by Jessica on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM

yikes! 13 weeks, and thanksgiving is somewhere in there, which we usually have at my house.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I usually send some cards.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I don't send many. I buy the boxed kind.

goddess99
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I do send cards, I just buy pretty cards that are already done.

sukainah
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Great tips.  

I don't send out holiday cards,  but if I did I would probably just do them myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN