Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

As the blogger for the FamilyPiggy Bank, I read a lot about money stuff. Surfing around, I uncover all sorts of stories beyond just hints on how to save or the state of the economy, like snippets on what the newly-found Van Gogh masterpiece sold for at Sotheby's or how a young girl was rewarded for returning a wallet full of cash. It's fun to read about all sorts of money news and thinking about how it impacts us or makes us think about our own money situation.

I ran across this cool article on USAToday a few weeks ago. Going to college costs money - not just tuition money, but spending money and money for books and everything. The article talks about how students are turning into entrepreneurs to find ways to make money, starting businesses to help other students out. 

One student started a snack delivery service, another began a room-cleaning service to clean other kids' dorm rooms. Laundry businesses (because who really wants to do those sheets?) have cropped up, as have moving companies (because again who wants to move boxes of textbooks up and down flights of stairs). Smart and savvy students are filling needs of others and making huge profits. 

Pretty cool, when you think about it - and who knows if anyone of them are even business majors. Just goes to show you, if you think hard enough and look around, golden business opportunities are everywhere. Me? I was a dorm counselor, which helped with housing costs and worked summers to bank up spending money for the year...

How did you make money in college? What is the best business idea you have had lately? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/pressureUA 

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
tayanddyl
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 6:03 PM
I would suggest starting a direct sales business such as Avon. This would give the student the flexibility needed along with extra $$$
tayanddyl
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Quoting jbyrd898:

wow. those are great ideas for college kids!

I agree!
Kmakksmom
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Umn....I'm just now going to college, lol.  I don't really have a great business idea, well until I am out of college.

elasmimi
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I worked as a waitress. Hardest job in the world, if you ask me!

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Great ideas!

cjsmom1
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 7:42 PM
I worked in a nursing home while I was in school
cjsmom1
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I worked in a nursing home when I was in school

AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I worked full time.

AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM

No real business idea's, but I would like to start 2, just no funding.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Good ideas. I worked for the campus snack shop while in college.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement