Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 12 Weeks!

Posted by   + Show Post

With all of the back-to-school shopping, afterschool classes we have signed up for, the catalogs for Halloween costumes, and the wondering if we have to buy her a new winter coat, I'm tallying the dollar figures in my head. But, with 12 weeks til Christmas, I'm also starting to calculate plane flights, driving costs and the money we can afford to spend on presents this year. All of it makes mama want to reach for that Holiday Egg Nog a little early, I tell you.

These weeks, I'm really looking at where I can save money and as we've discussed, doing a holiday card myself can save some moolah. If you have a good printer (or decide to invest in one), you can do some really cool holiday greetings for those you keep in touch with: 

-- Alter your photo. With sites like Picmonkey and Ribbet, you can add a neat quote and make that ho-hum picture something really jazzy and jolly (also check out this guide on Google+). Print it out on card stock and chunk it in the mail and you are done without spending much money.

-- Forget the picture. Again, just send some fun quotes from the kids over the years, or a quote that you love from a favorite holiday book, sign it and voila--done!

-- Go paperless. Upload a cool photo to an email (use those cool sites I just mentioned) and email everyone this year. Saves money, saves time and yes, helps our planet too!

How are you doing with the holiday prep? Have you decided on your holiday cards? 

©iStockphoto.com/Zelfit

by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Dh bought me really cute mickey mouse christmas cards after xmas so thats what were sending.

Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:34 AM

wow good job.

Quoting LOswald0314:

I have presents for the kids done already....Targets toy clearance in July every year rocks.  I make cards on shutterfly but I wait for special days and save money that way.

Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM

me either. I plan on doing a layaway here in the next couple of weeks to kick things off.

Quoting Kainalu55:

I love that the holidays are coming right up...but I still haven't gotten anything done yet...

AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Have not really done much prepping.  

AzariahsMother

Have not even thought about cards yet.   

mallowcup17

saving and hoping to get some small shopping out of the way soon

mallowcup17
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM

i agree. you are really ahead of the game!

Quoting Leelee1008:

wow good job.

Quoting LOswald0314:

I have presents for the kids done already....Targets toy clearance in July every year rocks.  I make cards on shutterfly but I wait for special days and save money that way.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I have not started holiday prep yet.  I guess I better get to it.

edorajane
by New Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM

UGH!! I resort to listia!

countrygirlkat
by Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM

We are starting next paycheck to put money away for shopping.  We are also going to look at doing our holiday cards in October to have that money done early and move on to gift buying. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN