Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 12 Weeks!

Posted by   + Show Post

With all of the back-to-school shopping, afterschool classes we have signed up for, the catalogs for Halloween costumes, and the wondering if we have to buy her a new winter coat, I'm tallying the dollar figures in my head. But, with 12 weeks til Christmas, I'm also starting to calculate plane flights, driving costs and the money we can afford to spend on presents this year. All of it makes mama want to reach for that Holiday Egg Nog a little early, I tell you.

These weeks, I'm really looking at where I can save money and as we've discussed, doing a holiday card myself can save some moolah. If you have a good printer (or decide to invest in one), you can do some really cool holiday greetings for those you keep in touch with: 

-- Alter your photo. With sites like Picmonkey and Ribbet, you can add a neat quote and make that ho-hum picture something really jazzy and jolly (also check out this guide on Google+). Print it out on card stock and chunk it in the mail and you are done without spending much money.

-- Forget the picture. Again, just send some fun quotes from the kids over the years, or a quote that you love from a favorite holiday book, sign it and voila--done!

-- Go paperless. Upload a cool photo to an email (use those cool sites I just mentioned) and email everyone this year. Saves money, saves time and yes, helps our planet too!

How are you doing with the holiday prep? Have you decided on your holiday cards? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/Zelfit

by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
aneela
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM

we are very low budget for holidays this year...only getting stuff for my son...

sukainah
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Great ideas for the holiday card!  I'm not doing one but my parents always do a holiday card, I'll pass the ideas on to them.

.Angelica.
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM

we don't do holiday cards

meglennox
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

lol no, i am a procrastinator. i plan on getting a family photo of us soon to use for christmas cards. other than that, i really hadn't thought of the holidays, other than halloween. ;)

MamaMandee
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 1:02 PM

hahahahaha my 4yr daughter is sitting here and saw the pic in the OP and just said that is amazing, we need to get that Christmas tree LOL.... anyhow, no prep yet right now Im focused on Oct and the million bdays & our annual Halloween party! 

MDWife12
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I don't even want to THINK about Christmas until late November lol :)

MrsNovakNWIND
by New Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM

O my gosh don't remind me!! LOL

By the way is it okay if I mention here and invite anyone interested to check out my new group.

It's called Clean Home for Michiana Families. If not it's no biggie, just not making a lot of friends quickly here so want to see if i can get word out in my other fav groups!

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I love to send out cards...last year I got picked as part of the influencer here at cafemom for greeting cards..I put ds's picture on them..they were cute.

saraface5383
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM
Nah
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suziejax
by Suzie on Sep. 13, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I have done nothing but find my Hanukkah candles lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN