Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Saving money tips

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM
  • 30 Replies

We have to come up with $15,000 for IVF and I was wondering if any of you have some tips on how to save money. 

We really don't eat out much at all, maybe once a week and we only shop for necessities right now...no splurging.

I'm just looking for some more ways to cut corners so we can finally get the ball rolling on our IVF.

Help! :)

by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Sep. 7, 2012 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

well.. do you keep a budget?  if so, look into everything you have in there, and have a long talk with your husband about what is really important. For example, having cable? can you live without it?, switching to more economical cars or ditching one of the cars and carpooling...  lowering your car insurance is another one.  I would pay close attention to what you can really live without and just plain take it off your budget, at least until you can afford it.  Good luck with the IVF :)

adrianne7291
by Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Quoting yvonne37:

well.. do you keep a budget?  if so, look into everything you have in there, and have a long talk with your husband about what is really important. For example, having cable? can you live without it?, switching to more economical cars or ditching one of the cars and carpooling...  lowering your car insurance is another one.  I would pay close attention to what you can really live without and just plain take it off your budget, at least until you can afford it.  Good luck with the IVF :)

We really don't have a budget that is set in stone. I think that's a great place to start. Thank you for your ideas.....I'm going to do this with him tomorrow and see what we can come up with.

And thank you for the good luck wishes! We need all the luck we can get. ;)

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Sep. 7, 2012 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Your welcome :)  you will be surprised as to how much money we spend that we dont account for.. so take it little by little and do your budget  :)

Quoting adrianne7291:

Quoting yvonne37:

We really don't have a budget that is set in stone. I think that's a great place to start. Thank you for your ideas.....I'm going to do this with him tomorrow and see what we can come up with.

And thank you for the good luck wishes! We need all the luck we can get. ;)

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Good luck on your IVF! Do you qualify for any sort of loans? I know my Mom looked into it and they had loans and such.

hillybean1985
by New Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

a big place we have been able to cut cost is by not smoking or buying coffee out.. those were daily expenses.. also not drinking soda or alchol can be an easy way to cut cost.. we also now only buy food at a generic low cost grocery store called price rite or aldi and we only buy meat on managers special. I never buy ground beef for more the $2.50 a lb and where i live the usual cost is atleast around $5 a lb. I just freeze it immediately and it last long enough. another idea is dropping your cell phone carrier and using a prepaid or track phone only for emergencies.

cjsmom1
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I think the pp's have had some great tips. Good luck!

adrianne7291
by Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks ladies! We discussed our budget and came up with a great plan last night. 

I really appreciate the tips. :)

AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Having a budget is good.

AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Shop sales, clearance, thrift stores, B1G1, half off things.

AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Using coupons

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)