Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Yes, those little toes, those little schmunchie-unchie tummies, that smell (oh you know what I'm talking about). Yes, babies. They are everywhere, it seems and that means they get gifts (I mean, you grow for nine months and burst into the world, you deserve some goodies). But when you have friend after cousin after co-worker having babies, those gifts can add up. Everyone loves giving stuffed elephants and pandas, but these gifts don't break the bank and are super useful - money well spent if you ask me. 

-- Start a library. Go to Amazon or Barnes and Noble or your local bookseller and pick out some great board books. Not just the usual "Goodnight Moon", check out some ABC ones, some Sandra Boynton ones...my kid's fave: Hug.

-- LLBean monogrammed tote. Mom and Dad are going to be toting a lot of stuff, why not get the little one a bag of her own. Perfect for airplane and day trips to lug toys, bottles and more.

-- Monogrammed buckets and bins. I love these canvas carriers and floor totes from Pottery Barn as they hold so much stuff and fit anywhere. We have three in Kiddo's room and they have grown with her, going from baby toys to blocks to now purses.

-- Artwork for her walls. Order some great prints from places like Etsy for less than $20 and add a frame from your local craft store or WalMart and you have something special. Love this "You are my sunshine" lyrics or the trio of adorable elephant and bunny prints.

What is your favorite baby gift to give?

¬©iStockphoto.com/RuthBlack          

by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
thedathree
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Quoting Leelee1008:

oddly enough I give baby food and ceral, well I used to anyway. If I know the moms and they arent organic or opposed to cereals and jar food. I also give the little things people forget,like nail clippers, and outlet covers So my bags end up jam packed with stuff that moms can use but others forget to buy.

I really like that .. I am having a baby end of November and although I haven't gotten any gifts and doubt I will I like practical things I will actually use. I could never have enough baby nail clippers! I use them on my 9 and 11 yo still! Also babies grow so fast. A lot of other stuff will be useless after a couple months and its nice to have a few things on stand by when you need them later and not have to run out and buy stuff.
thedathree
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting goddess99:

My favorite is those huge boxes of baby wipes. I love giving those. Not too excited but will definitely be used.

I would be excited as hell to get a case of wipes! Slam dunk, I wouldn't need to buy them for a couple months and that helps avoid unnecessary trips to the store!
thedathree
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting apoynter:

I like a subscription to "Family Fun' magazine!  Lots of 'real' advice from parents, with Kid-friendly craft, travel and decorating ideas, pertinent health info....for a reasonable, realistic family.

Oh, and I always add a copy of 'Love you Forever'....and challenge the new mom to read it without tearing up.....my first baby is nearly 17 years old....still can't make it through that book without a hankie.

I like that idea. Someone got my daughter a magazine subscription to one of the tween/ teen things and she loves that every month she gets her magazine. Personally I can't afford to treat myself to magazines and would love that gift. Especially since reading anything long or requiring concentration may take a while.
Stevensmomma
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Diapers you can never have enough!!!!!!!

momw2teens522
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 6:03 AM

I usually get a little sleeper or something. As life happens my cousin is expecting their 1st baby in early Dec. just as we are on topic of baby gifts. I am not truely artistic.I may do something like personalize  a cute storage/ toy tote or a tote bag.

They are said to be having a girl, so we will see!

ambernicole531
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 6:23 PM

This is my fourth baby!! I have always declined another shower. lol   However some friends want to get together and cook some freezer meals. that would be absolutely awesome!!!! I would probably belly up to the punch bowl with a straw (my one and only craving) and cry!!! lol  

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I tend to buy off the registry if it is a first baby because I know that is all stuff they need and don't have yet.  If it is a second or third or whatever number baby I buy diapers because everybody is so thankful for those usually, lol.  Then I also make them a meal that I take to them after they get home from the hospital so that it is at least one night they don't have to cook. 

ambernicole531
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I like to make a blanket. normally I crochet, but last time I was a procrastinator and tied a fleece blanket! It was a big hit!!

JonesMama
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I usually buy something off the registry and then I pick out an outfit, too, because it's just fun to buy baby clothes. If I don't have time to get something from the registry, I'll give a giftcard and whatever gift I pick out. We have a few showers coming up, I told ds he could pick something for each of them as well since we're pretty close to the parents-to-be...so they'll end up with an outfit, a toy ds picks out, and whatever giftcard or registry item.

Jenner8
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I usually design some personalized onesies (and t-shirt for older siblings)... and I try to control myself and not go totally insane... but baby stuff is so much fun to shop for and my LO came to me as a 3 yo so I missed out on all those tiny outfits!  A good friend is due with her 2nd in March and I've already been shopping, I'm also wanting to make a diaper cake as well... she doesn't really want a shower, but we're having one if it's just the two of us munching on cake! 

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I love getting books for the kids...sometimes they're expensive..but we get a lot of use out of them because I want them to love reading as much as I do so I don't mind splurging...but it's nice when family adds to our "library" lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement