Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 11 Weeks!

Posted by   + Show Post

Only two more weeks and then we are into single-digits, people, SINGLE DIGITS! Eek. Somehow as Fall has tiptoed in, I am feeling much more crafty than in summer days...have not a clue why, and I'm sure there is no scientific explanation, but yup, I'm getting stoked by cool ideas on Pinterest and blogs by moms so much more craftier than I, ones that would be great DIY gifts to make and give to those on that list.

But some of these, like that scarf for your niece or the blanket you promised to give your brother, you kinda sorta need to start now as they may take a bit of time.

Mug Set - Grab a few white mugs and make a one-of-a-kind set of tea or coffee mugs by following the easy instructions from LHJ.com. Perfect for a teacher or neighbor.

Interchangeable wreath - I saw this over on the blog Joys of Life with Lucy. She made a basic white wreath and attached little snaps and then created add-ons you can switch up depending on the season. So nifty!

Jeweled Wreath - Okay, so have wreaths on my mind for some reason, but this is really a chic wreath and so easy to make according to BHG.com. Take a wreath form and plastic pearls of all shapes and sizes from the craft store and glue them on...you can also use it as a centerpiece with a candle or bowl of ornaments.

Artwork Collection - I love this idea for that person who is so hard to buy for: a collection of small framed original pieces of art inspired by them. Take that tween girl in your life that loves horses and music. Get some silhouettes, cur out the form and then paint them her favorite colors. Frame them and it is the coolest gift ever. Get more details on how to do it over at Design Sponge.

Zippered bracelet - Add some hard bling to the wardrobe of your sister or your BFF. Grab two zippers and just follow the step-by-steps at ecouterre.com. Really, not much sewing skills are needed to create an uber-fahionable gift.

What DIY gifts do you make?  

©iStockphoto.com/Warchi    

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
elasmimi
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Mostly food gifts, because I am not very crafty.

slw123
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I'm not good with DIY gifts.  I guess if someone walked me through every last detail, but I have no imagination.

natesmom1228
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Quoting meglennox:

baked yummies :)

I do make cookies for some of my neighbors.

KaylaMillar
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM
I honestly hasn't made any. I need to this year!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thedathree
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Quoting michiganmom116:

I've made sausage, cheese, & cracker baskets, baked goods baskets, soup & homemade bread food baskets, quilts, afghans, fleece blankets, stitched designs on shirts, personalized ornaments, wooden fishing pole rack, wooden curio box, play mats for toy cars, Barbie furniture, Barbie clothes, matching robes & pajamas, bath salts, and more.

How do you make Barbie furniture? My daughter is 9 and I'm having a baby end of November. Christmas is going to be rough and she'd really like that.
thedathree
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Quoting countrygirlkat:

I love to quilt but it takes me forever to do one, lol.  The other thing I am thinking of doing this year for teachers and neighbors is those jars that you fill with ingredients and then attach a recipe for something to make. 

My sons class did that for parent holiday project last year. I really liked bc I live in an apartment and dont have space to save all those sentimental things that I feel too bad to throw away. Also it was really tasty.
Stevensmomma
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I like to do ornaments

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I made a bed by covering a block of wood with batting and fabric and lace, then making a bed pillow and matching comforter.  I did something similar for a chair and sofa with cushions.  I used plastic canvas to make dining room furniture (reinforced with dowels).  I used plastic canvas to make a hutch.  I have patterns to make furniture from plastic canvas for every room in a house.  I also have a sewing pattern to make the various furniture.  It was a lot of fun to do it for my DD, and now I'm just waiting for my granddaughter to get old enough to enjoy those sort of things!

Quoting thedathree:

Quoting michiganmom116:

I've made sausage, cheese, & cracker baskets, baked goods baskets, soup & homemade bread food baskets, quilts, afghans, fleece blankets, stitched designs on shirts, personalized ornaments, wooden fishing pole rack, wooden curio box, play mats for toy cars, Barbie furniture, Barbie clothes, matching robes & pajamas, bath salts, and more.

How do you make Barbie furniture? My daughter is 9 and I'm having a baby end of November. Christmas is going to be rough and she'd really like that.

AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I only made 1 gift basket last year, and had a lot of fun doing it.  Not really sure if I will be doing anything this year. 

AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:34 PM

How do you make these? 

Quoting Stevensmomma:

I like to do ornaments

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN