Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 11 Weeks!

Posted by   + Show Post

Only two more weeks and then we are into single-digits, people, SINGLE DIGITS! Eek. Somehow as Fall has tiptoed in, I am feeling much more crafty than in summer days...have not a clue why, and I'm sure there is no scientific explanation, but yup, I'm getting stoked by cool ideas on Pinterest and blogs by moms so much more craftier than I, ones that would be great DIY gifts to make and give to those on that list.

But some of these, like that scarf for your niece or the blanket you promised to give your brother, you kinda sorta need to start now as they may take a bit of time.

Mug Set - Grab a few white mugs and make a one-of-a-kind set of tea or coffee mugs by following the easy instructions from LHJ.com. Perfect for a teacher or neighbor.

Interchangeable wreath - I saw this over on the blog Joys of Life with Lucy. She made a basic white wreath and attached little snaps and then created add-ons you can switch up depending on the season. So nifty!

Jeweled Wreath - Okay, so have wreaths on my mind for some reason, but this is really a chic wreath and so easy to make according to BHG.com. Take a wreath form and plastic pearls of all shapes and sizes from the craft store and glue them on...you can also use it as a centerpiece with a candle or bowl of ornaments.

Artwork Collection - I love this idea for that person who is so hard to buy for: a collection of small framed original pieces of art inspired by them. Take that tween girl in your life that loves horses and music. Get some silhouettes, cur out the form and then paint them her favorite colors. Frame them and it is the coolest gift ever. Get more details on how to do it over at Design Sponge.

Zippered bracelet - Add some hard bling to the wardrobe of your sister or your BFF. Grab two zippers and just follow the step-by-steps at ecouterre.com. Really, not much sewing skills are needed to create an uber-fahionable gift.

What DIY gifts do you make?  

ŠiStockphoto.com/Warchi    

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-46):
othermom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I want to make a pillow for each of my girls, just got to get motivated. I have them in the room, just have to sew them

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Maybe you feel like this because during fall we tend to stay home more often and summer we want to be out and about.. just an idea

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:33 AM

this year i am sewing some little things like aprons and pot holders. I am baking and putting them in cute tin containers and i am also making my famous "coquito" (egg nog) for some of my family members and friends that always expect it.

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:34 AM

i also wanted to make some fabric dolls for the little babies in the family.

lemonade1
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Me neither.  I stock up on gifts in the January sales big time,  I have gifts for any age, any sex, any occassion and it's usually been discounted 75%. 

Quoting cjsmom1:

I don't make gifts. I am so not crafty.

cjsmom1
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Wow that's great! I just pick something up if I know ds or another a kid I normally but for would like it. It's a great idea to stock up though.

Quoting lemonade1:

Me neither.  I stock up on gifts in the January sales big time,  I have gifts for any age, any sex, any occassion and it's usually been discounted 75%. 

Quoting cjsmom1:

I don't make gifts. I am so not crafty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement