Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Scratch and Dent store

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM
  • 25 Replies

These stores have outdated foods, smashed boxes, dented cans, closeouts.....

Do you have one around you? Do you shop it?

Do you find any good deals?

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
i.heart.myboys
by Amber E on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:58 PM
I do not know to be honest with you. If there is one around us I don't know about it. Would be nice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I have one near me, and it's my primary choice for groceries.  Just because foods are outdated or containers are damaged doesn't mean what's inside is bad.  I do watch for bulging cans (indication of spoilage inside) and I make sure the bag inside the box isn't ripped open.  Dates on foods are usually recommendations, not requirements.

Do I find good deals?  You tell me:

8 oz. can tomato sauce or 6 oz. paste - 15¢

15 oz. cans diced tomatoes (often organic)  or Rotel, all canned veggies - 35¢

28 or 29 oz. tomato products (whole, diced, crushed, sauce) - 50¢

artichoke hearts (brand name, reg price over $2, label is ripped) - 45¢

albacore tuna 6 oz. - 60¢

albacore tuna 12 oz - $1.35

40 oz. peanut butter - $2.95

Similac formula, regular size can, powder, (no lid, but the foil seal was unbroken) - $6

brand name cake mixes - 85¢

Jello - 3 oz are 25¢, 6 oz. are 33¢

McCormick seasoning packets (steak marinade, spaghetti sauce, chili, meatloaf, etc.) - 20¢

Hunt's spaghetti sauce, 26 oz. can - 50¢

Hellman's mayo, 32 oz. - $1.25

coconut milk, 14 oz. - 35¢

various salad dressings - 75¢

...there's more, but those are the only prices I remember.

deedee3849
by Deanne on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

I have one near me, and it's my primary choice for groceries.  Just because foods are outdated or containers are damaged doesn't mean what's inside is bad.  I do watch for bulging cans (indication of spoilage inside) and I make sure the bag inside the box isn't ripped open.  Dates on foods are usually recommendations, not requirements.

Similac formula, regular size can, powder, (no lid, but the foil seal was unbroken) - $6

McCormick seasoning packets (steak marinade, spaghetti sauce, chili, meatloaf, etc.) - 20¢

Those are great prices! We have a couple of them, one is close the others are a 30 min. drive so I only go if I am out that way for something else. The one that is closest does not have as great of deals as yours does though! The one that is 30 min away is locatd in an Amish town and I can also get spices and pantry goods for super cheap. It's a fun time!

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Quoting deedee3849:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Those are great prices! We have a couple of them, one is close the others are a 30 min. drive so I only go if I am out that way for something else. The one that is closest does not have as great of deals as yours does though! The one that is 30 min away is locatd in an Amish town and I can also get spices and pantry goods for super cheap. It's a fun time!

This one is owned by Amish, too!  They also have a bulk food section and that's where I get my spices and a lot of my baking/canning supplies.  They also have produce, dairy, and freezer sections with foods that are off brand/much cheaper  (milk is $2.59/gallon, 2 lb. bag of pepperoni is $4, 8 oz. cheese is $1.69, etc.)  It's only 7 miles away, so it's much closer for me!

deedee3849
by Deanne on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting deedee3849:

Quoting michiganmom116:

This one is owned by Amish, too!  They also have a bulk food section and that's where I get my spices and a lot of my baking/canning supplies.  They also have produce, dairy, and freezer sections with foods that are off brand/much cheaper  (milk is $2.59/gallon, 2 lb. bag of pepperoni is $4, 8 oz. cheese is $1.69, etc.)  It's only 7 miles away, so it's much closer for me!

Yes, i was in shock at how good the prices were for spices. I bought the equivalent of 5-6 McCormick jars of cream of tarter for 69cents in a small butter size tub. (I use it for homemade play-doh). Steak seasoning 89 cents and awesome... in a small butter size tub as well!

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I dont think they have one of those here.

suziejax
by Suzie on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM

we used to have one

now I see them on racks at stores sometimes I shop the racks , sometimes its a deal 

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:04 PM
There is one about 1/2 hour away. We stop whenever we're that way but I have never made a specific trip just for that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luv.My.Kidz
by Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM

nope.... and if we did it would scare the living shit outta me. I'll go to a scratch and dent appliance store but never for food.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

nope.... and if we did it would scare the living shit outta me. I'll go to a scratch and dent appliance store but never for food.

There's no need to fear it.  Out of the 12+ years I've been shopping at ours, I've had to throw out ONE can of sweet potatoes and one box of food (the bag inside was torn open and I didn't remember if it was like that when I got it or if I did it.)

Think about it:  employees use box cutters to open a box, and they slice open a few boxes of cereal inside.  The boxes of cereal are now considered unsellable, so the store sells it to a salvage grocer.  The cereal is still good inside it's bag in the box, it's just the box that doesn't look good.  If you drop a can of tomato soup on the floor at home and it dents the rim, do you throw it away?  Dented cans usually aren't sold at major supermarkets; they're sold to salvage grocers.  How about if a label is partially torn off?  You can still see what's in the box or can, you just don't have a pretty label.  Well, the stores can't sell those either...but a salvage grocer can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)