Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Laundry detergent bandwagon!

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:05 PM
  • 7 Replies
Ok..so I have asked about this before and still have not tried it.

Any advice on whether to make the powdered kind...or is there even a recipe to make the liquid kind? I use the store bought liquid kind right now but got to thinking does it even matter if it's powder or liquid?

Plus I have seen so many different recipes on cm .....can you share the recipe that has been successful for you....and how much you use per load?

Trying to figure out how much $ we can save....that always motivates me. ;)

Thanks ladies...
Have a great Thursday!
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I have not made any but here is a bump.

MDWife12
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I made some for a while - either I didn't make it right or I just was horrible at making it because it didn't clean my clothes good :/

deedee3849
by Deanne on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I use the Duggar recipe. I need my clothes to smell nice after washing and this detergent does not make my clothes smell nice so I use Snuggle fabric softener as well. As far as cleaning power, Tide is definitely better but this is still good.

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine- best value

4  Cups - hot tap water
1  Fels-Naptha soap bar ( Sometimes I use ivory 2-bars)
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)

-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

*Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda" - in some stores or may be purchased online here (at Meijer.com). Baking Soda will not work, nor will Arm & Hammer Detergent - It must be sodium carbonate!!

•Works well in traditional or HE machines.

•Low sudsing. It is the ingredients in the soap, not the suds, that does the cleaning.

•Clumping and geling of the detergent is normal. Stir before putting in dispenser, and shake before each use.

•For stains, consider using an inexpensive spray-on stain remover before washing. (Zout, Spray 'n' Wash, Oxyclean)

rachel_2010
by New Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I use 1 cup soap flakes, 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda.  That was the first I tried, but since starting that I have an ammonia build up in my diapers.  So I tried 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup baking soda, and 1 cup oxiclean for the diapers.  Haven't been able to tell if it's working yet, just started them last wash cycle.

I still use the other stuff for regular laundry, made a double batch sometime before Christmas and still have half a tub.  I only use cold water, (just start it hot, add soap to disolve then switch back to cold to fill) and our clothes seem just as clean.  My husbands work out clothes sometimes need to go back in and get washed in hot b/c they are still stinky, but I had to do that once and while when i was using Tide Cold water.

I'd say I spent around 35 bucks for the stuff I needed, and could make probably 2 more big batches, and the first isn't gone yet.

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I use equal parts baking soda, washing soda and grated soap. I haven't made soap since I got my HE because I'm nervous about using my homemade stuff in my new(ish) washer.

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I've never made it.

suziejax
by Suzie on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

i still have not made my own yet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN