Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

How much will you spend on christmas

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:55 AM
  • 43 Replies
I had a budget all planned out but then I got sick and was off work for a couple of weeks without pay. And then the medical bills starting coming in. So.. I'm starting to panic on Christmas. I read that Walmart has a new layaway plan this year. I've never done layaway, has anyone else?

We don't buy for the adults in the family and there are not many kids. But as they get older, they get more expensive. My kids are asking for an iPod touch and a dsi. I'm wondering where they got these ideas from lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:30 AM

My #1 Christmas shopping rule is "honor your budget" .   The gift we give ourselves is to not be in debt in January.   This means... NO gifts go on credit and we do not outstretch our means to get gifts out of our budget.

We normally spend about $300 each per kid... less when we have less.   I worry more about keeping the items even than the money even... Typically they get new shoes, slippers, flip flops, clothes and something fun that they asked for. 

DH and I agree on an amount of money to spend on each other.   Some years $200 some years ZERO depending on the budget.   In zero money years I have bought something that we needed and wrapped it for us from Santa.  (example one year I got us a $30 DVD player for our bedroom.) And we do stockings regardless.

When we have money we buy something for our parents and all of the family kids.  Based on budget we eliminate our parents firsts.  I have always managed to buy something for the kids even in tight years.  Once I gave them decorative boxes filled with candy and a $5 Cold Stone gift card.    

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I usually just spend what I have. I dont do any lawaway or anything.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Same here

Quoting jbyrd898:

I usually just spend what I have. I dont do any lawaway or anything.

deedee3849
by Deanne on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I also spend within the means of what I have. I have not done layaway in the past but I think it's a great thing =) 

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this

We've never set a budget for Christmas. I like to shop til the bottom of the tree looks full lol. I definitely get that from my mom, who does the same and then some. I don't use credit cards though and I started shopping around Easter so I'm not stressed closer to the holidays.

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I've used layaway at Kmart before but not Walmart. It was nice but I prefer shopping in advance and not having an additional bill to pay..just spending a little here and there.

AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:42 AM

We don't have a budget as of right now.  We will start planning next month for Christmas. 

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM
I have $600 saved so far and my 2 youngest and myself are already bought for. So I need to buy for my.oldest ds but only one more gift that costs about $75 and then my dh and extended family. The rest will be used for gas to see family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suziejax
by Suzie on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM

not much at all

momto3isme
by Dawn on Sep. 21, 2012 at 2:09 PM

No budget yet hopefully soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)