Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

What are You Willing to Pay More For?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know some of us will pay more for certain things -- perhaps that upgrade to two-day shipping to get an online order faster or going to the salon to get your gray hairs covered instead of using a box from the drugstore.

It is funny how we all have different gauges of what is "worth" more. We have friends that will drive around for 35 minutes to find a parking spot on the street, while others will just pull into a parking garage. Some will hand-wash delicates, while others will just take it to the dry cleaners. Some people spend part of their weekend cleaning the bathroom, while others have a great lady who comes Monday mornings to whip the house into shape. Some love to make their own chocolate chip cookies to bring to the preschool party, while others just spend the money on delicious though store-bought treats.

Why? Why do we justify spending more money on those things? In a totally unscientific poll of friends and fellow mamas, it seems about 95% of those things we feel are okay about spending more on have one main thing in common: they save us time. Whether they are more convenient or save us an extra 53 minutes or just make the day go by a little easier, we are placing an emphasis on our time.

(The covering the grays with a professional versus the box...yeah, that doesn't really save time, but could save from you walking around with purple hair if you don't know what you are doing...)

Think for a second -- what do you pay more for? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/Kameleon007

by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-45):
momto3isme
by Dawn on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Hot dogs

suziejax
by Suzie on Sep. 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

A great hotel room verses a cheesy yucky one!

lovingmamma01
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Gas. I'm crazy for doing that, I know. My car is very expensive to repair (Audi) so I would rather use what is recommended which is the Premium stuff than have to spend a ton of money down the road for repairs. I would also rather pay for parking even if it's going to cost me $15-20 rather than find a place on the street. I especially do this when I'm in Seattle because I HATE the traffic/rude drivers, and my family's safety is worth the money spent. 

kitcal78
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM

My mom says the same thing. 

Quoting deedee3849:

Ohhhh...and vanilla, for baking. ONLY the REAL stuff! Makes a big difference.

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I pay more for things that are going to last more.. like winter coats, car maintenance, healthier foods, shoes, dress clothes for my husband and me (not the kids, they outgrow it). :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement