Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 10 Weeks!

Posted by   + Show Post

I may be making a huge assumption here, but I don't think many of you own a sleigh...or eight reindeer to drive it. The big fella has his delivery method unmatched by anything online. Sadly, it involves a magic that we non-elf employers, non-North Pole inhabitants have access to...which means we have to figure out how to get those gifts to us.

Enter in shipping costs. Heading to the post office and sending them to family members the old-fashioned way costs money. As does gas money going to the mall a few times to stock up for presents to put under your tree there at home. So...I'm on a mission this year to spend no money on shipping costs. Zip, zilch, nada.

It can be done, I know it! I'm doing most of my shopping online and sending them directly to folks (or to our home if they are for the kiddo). I've checked out subscription sites like Shop Runner and Amazon Prime - both of which charge a fee, but it is minimal if you do a lot of Internet shopping. And I am refusing to shop anywhere that doesn't offer free shipping. So many do these days, everyone from Zappos to Gap to Amazon's regular Super Saver Shipping, and even more offer specials of free shipping (so sign up for those email blasts as that is where you find out). Also, sites like FreeShipping.org gives great codes you can use to make your own free shipping day.

This is one area during holiday season we can all save some money. Even if you only do a bit of shopping online, make it a point to get free shipping. And when you head to the mall, have a list, so you don't make repeat trips!

Do you have favorite sites that ship for free? Where do you find codes? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/pagadesign 

by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-26):
goddess99
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Kohls has great online shopping, the nearest is about 70 miles away so I online shop almost monthly. And there's no real return policy so if there is something that doesn't fit I can still wait 6 months and whenever we go to that town, I just bring it and retun it then. I do that instead of paying to ship it back.

Quoting jbyrd898:

Quoting goddess99:

I do the super saving shipping on Amazon alot and Kohls has 99cent shipping and free shipping over a certain amount.

I didnt realize Kohl's had online shopping. I am going to have to go check them out.

cjsmom1
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I don't shop online too much. I do like Barnes and Noble though. If you order the books online they are often cheaper than in the store and if you spend $50 you get free shipping. DS asked for books for Christmas so I'll be taking advantage of this.

allyn9
by Carey on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:10 AM

I buy quite a bit through Amazon.  While it's not "free", I share an Amazon Prime membership with 4 family members, and so the cost to me is about $16 a year.  Over the course of a year, I'd say it averages out to less than 50 cents an order.   

suziejax
by Suzie on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:11 AM

ebay has on some small junk I buy free shipping a lot. just click the free shipping section box on the left and all of what your looking with free shipping pops up

bamababe1975
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I do a lot of shopping on eBay, Amazon, and the retailers' websites, and while not all of them have free shipping, most of them do as the holidays grow nearer. I have no idea where to find codes, though.

clowry02
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:46 PM

yay nice

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN