Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Okay, so yesterday we chatted about appointments for ourselves that not only keep us health, happy and skipping along, but in doing so, saves us money. Now it is time for other appointments to make that can also keep more moolah in the piggy bank.

Car - Time to get that car checked. Look over the tires, how worn are they? How about a good overall tune up before the winter months hit? Getting your auto in good winter condition can save you tons of money in the long run.

Home - When was the last time you had the heating system inspected? What about that fireplace cleaned? Is your insulation still in good condition? As the cooler days come along, you may be using things you haven't used in months. Make sure they are in good working order and not costing you money.

Roof - Unlike the front door, we can't readily check that roof, can we? It may cost a little bit of money to have someone look over your roof, but save you hundreds of dollars if left unchecked. This time of year is good to do it, before pounds of snow may create a huge impact - literally - on your roof.

Gutters - I just have been getting on my dad about this. He's too old (sorry, Dad!) to climb on ladders and clean those gutters, and paying a local handy guy to take care of that will prevent a huge bill if they get clogged later in the year.

Insurance policy - This is a perfect time of year to take a few moments and look over all of you insurance polices. Have you made any improvements or additions? Have you bought anything that is worth a lot of money that you may need to insure? Check it over and see what needs to be altered

What do you need to get checked before winter hits?  

ŠiStockphoto.com/RiseAboveDesign

by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Dh will probably have the car checked
TheBabyFactory4
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:08 PM

nothing really, we dont get harsh winters here.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Well I take that back. WE SHOULD get our chimney sweeped but i am not working so that might not happen until january or february but again, we don't get harsh winters so we probably won't use it that much anyway/

cjsmom1
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I rent so no mae preparations for me.

I did get my car looked at last week because I was having issues with it. I need to get an oil change and new tires still.

mrswillie
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 6:31 AM

We just put our truck through inspection and renewed our tags. I don't think much else needs to be done before winter.

mommythree0508
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:19 AM
Quoting suziejax:

Great article!

natesmom1228
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I need to have my car inspected this month. I probably need tires.

Wish2Be
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I have about $500 in car maintenence to do. :(

I also need to get the gutters cleared out.

I have medical visits to schedule

3 year pictures for DS.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Good list!

thedathree
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Quoting cjsmom1:

I rent so no mae preparations for me.

I did get my car looked at last week because I was having issues with it. I need to get an oil change and new tires still.

I rent too. I had a tire out last week and yesterday needed new breaks, rotters, a u joint and something with ball joint for one of my wheels. I had to put part of it on a credit card bc I didn't have the money but I have needed this done since last December. My break pads were falling appart literally.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement