Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Okay, so yesterday we chatted about appointments for ourselves that not only keep us health, happy and skipping along, but in doing so, saves us money. Now it is time for other appointments to make that can also keep more moolah in the piggy bank.

Car - Time to get that car checked. Look over the tires, how worn are they? How about a good overall tune up before the winter months hit? Getting your auto in good winter condition can save you tons of money in the long run.

Home - When was the last time you had the heating system inspected? What about that fireplace cleaned? Is your insulation still in good condition? As the cooler days come along, you may be using things you haven't used in months. Make sure they are in good working order and not costing you money.

Roof - Unlike the front door, we can't readily check that roof, can we? It may cost a little bit of money to have someone look over your roof, but save you hundreds of dollars if left unchecked. This time of year is good to do it, before pounds of snow may create a huge impact - literally - on your roof.

Gutters - I just have been getting on my dad about this. He's too old (sorry, Dad!) to climb on ladders and clean those gutters, and paying a local handy guy to take care of that will prevent a huge bill if they get clogged later in the year.

Insurance policy - This is a perfect time of year to take a few moments and look over all of you insurance polices. Have you made any improvements or additions? Have you bought anything that is worth a lot of money that you may need to insure? Check it over and see what needs to be altered

What do you need to get checked before winter hits?  

©iStockphoto.com/RiseAboveDesign

by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
sukainah
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Thanks for the reminders, there is a few on that list I need to do.  Like get a tune up for the car and get the heating system checked.

Rushn311
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I need to get tires and an oil change, oh and a radiator flush

.Angelica.
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM

we should probably clean our gutters :/

cjsmom1
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:04 PM

That sucks. I had to replace both brake lines, brake pads, brake shoes. I need new tires and hopefully that's it. Having a car can be so expensive with gas, repairs, and insurance.

Quoting thedathree:

I rent too. I had a tire out last week and yesterday needed new breaks, rotters, a u joint and something with ball joint for one of my wheels. I had to put part of it on a credit card bc I didn't have the money but I have needed this done since last December. My break pads were falling appart literally.

Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM

well we do need to seal coat the roof, we got 1 new tire on the front drivers side, need one on the passengers side.

Bob192
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Great reminders!!  Yes, our chimney too!

MDWife12
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 2:59 PM

we rent the house from the in-laws so anything that needs to be fixed with the house is on their shoulders. we did just get an oil change - we do need to get new tires on the car before snow starts to fall and we need to fix the driver side window as well as the driver side door handle.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

All of the above. :)    My husband shouldn't be climbing up to the roof to clear the gutters for sure.

thedathree
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:54 PM
Quoting cjsmom1:

I have a 99 so nothing to brag about its no wonder I need repairs! I have never had a car payment in my life though and its all normal things that need repairing. new tires are expensive! !! I'm living check to check so couldn't afford brand new tires but we have a place you can get good used tires for 25$ each for my suv. If it was a car it be less. I need the back to put my sons wheelchair in though and now ill probably need a stroller for the baby I'm supposed to have in November. I'm glad all this crap happened now instead of right after my baby , during winter snow and when my kids are off school. Waiting with three kids. one special needs and one complaining with a newborn would suck. Now my daughter needs pants and snow pants and winter boots, my son a winter coat, shoes, long sleeved shirts. Then pleaaaseee let me not need to buy for a while!!!!
CameronsMommy23
by Amber on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Our vehicles need oil changes and the windows and doors need checked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement