Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Smarter Seasonal Spending Challenge Day 1: Plan Ahead

Posted by   + Show Post

This sounds like an easy task, but the holidays will be here before you know it!

Sit down and make a list of upcoming parties, gifts you'll need to buy, trips you might be taking, and other expenses that might come up - costumes for a winter dance recital, anything. Then take some time to set a reasonable budget keeping in mind what works for your finances and incorporates all these purchases.

What do you have coming up this season?

writing

Sign up here to receive daily reminders! One mom who completes 10 or more days of the challenge will win a $50 Chase gift card!

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
XVAmomma
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:35 PM
We are lucky and our LO will be only 6mo old so he really wont be especting anything. So as Xmas gift we are doing 1 item of clothing (we already got it for $3.99 on clearence), one book (I'm splurging on this one and getting Twinkle Twinkle and recording our voice reading it that will cost $25.00) and as a special gift we are getting family portraits with Grandparents, Uncles, Aunties, Cousins and even Greatgrandparents (this is by far the most expensive at $250 a session and we are budgetting 2 sessions as we are huge family). It might be the last Xmas we are all together as some members of the family will be moving away at the begining of next yr and my grandparents are...well not getting any younger.

Other than that I am making household gifts instead of individuals. Only LOs under 10 yrs are getting individual presents and that is 5 at $15 ea. One Secret Santa at work, One within the family and one additional gift for my best friend's LO.

We are attending only family parties this yr so it is 3 Xmas (we are hosting)/new yrs eve and epiphany. So clothing for the 3 of us each day.

Last item is a trip to visit my IL so car rental, gas and a small budget for outings.

Hopefully all under $1225.00, Ouch!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I think I only have a few gifts left to buy, and we'll probably have to pick up a few pieces of winter clothing (jackets, etc.)

cjsmom1
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:01 PM
I already got ds's Halloween costume, so that's one thing done.
I have to put a little extra money on the side for food for Thanksgiving.
I have a little on the side for Christmas and I'm almost finished getting ds's gifts and he already picked out what he's getting his brother and sister (my ex's kids).
I have 2 birthdays on Christmas, 1 Christmas Eve, and 1 in January
Ferrari
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM
I have my niece's second birthday in three days, my other niece's 5 birthday next month, Christmas gifts for the family. I'm planning on making most of the gifts. I'm thinking 500 max for everyone. I'm too sure on the price of materials. I DO NOT want to go over that amount.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Greekmama21
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM

We have to plan, we get hit hard from Oct.- Jan. 

October- DD's birthday, DH's birthday
Nov.- DD#1's birthday, my sisters birthday.
December- St. Nicholas Day, MIL's b-day/ Christmas.
January- FIL's birthday....

We don't plan for holiday meals because those are put under grocery so we use our "stock up" money for the dinners. We start planning in January.  

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:10 PM
We just got back from a weekend away. And we even came in $50 under budget so I deposited back into the bank this morning. We have to plan for everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cemommster
by New Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:10 PM

WInter clothing for all of us, christmas gifts and home and van maintenance. Going to add this to mynotebook.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Christmas presents of course, Thanksgiving day food and my moms birthday...uhhh!

ShirreeM
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM
My daughter's second birthday is this month and Christmas.
We have an account set up just for extras.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vikki77
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM
My oldest son will be 17 in November. My 2nd oldest son will be 16 in December. My birthday is in December. Then the Christmas party for family and making stockings for 25 kids in all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)