Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Smarter Seasonal Spending Challenge Day 3: Cut Costs Now

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 111 Replies

Save a little more this year by cutting out things you don't need now! Make your coffee at home, bring your own lunch, skip name brands and add it all to a holiday slush fund.

How much do you spend on coffee and lunches each week? How much can you save if you stop buying a few of these "treats" for the next three months?

coffee

Did you miss yesterday's challenge? You need to participate in at least 10 of the challenge posts for a chance to win the $50 gift card. Sign up here to join the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suziejax
by Suzie on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I do not buy coffees thankfully

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:38 AM
I fill my travel mug before leaving the house. But I also don't pass up a Tim Hortons either. Good thing there isnt one in my town. I'd say I average about 2 cups of coffee a month that isn't from home.

The only things I can cut if I had to start cutting expenses would be Dish network, switch our phones to prepaid and cancel our internet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:39 AM

We've done all of those things for YEARS, so there won't be any savings there.

momto3isme
by Dawn on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:56 AM

We don't eat out or buy coffee anywhere.  We eat at home and make our coffee at home every day.

Mommy4two
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Now this won't help me for I'm actually very good, we don't eat fast food at all.. it's not good for you "and yes up til nearly 6 months ago I did eat it" I've seen first hand how the products will NOT break down so that crap is no longer in our budget or diet.. and I hate coffee, I can drink a french vanilla cap. but that's sooo rare "seriously like 1 a year" so it doesn't count lol...

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I am home and don't eat out often

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I work part time, and I admit that on days i work I do eat out lunch. I always feel like it is my treat for working on those days :(, and I always forget to bring something with me. I need to work on this big time. I make most of my coffee at home, but every once and while buy some out.

ReesesPieces
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:03 AM
I spend $0 a week on those things. I don't drink coffee and I'm a SAHM, so we have lunch at home. :). Can't cut back there, but we do budget for Christmas all year long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I don't spend on lunches at all because I bring a lunch from home.  I might spend once a month for lunch if that.  As far as coffee I say I spend under $10 a week depending on if I go to Caribou or to Holiday and get their .99 cents coffee.  I do Caribou on 1 time a week on payday weeks, so I guess I really spend more like $13 a in 2 weeks on coffee, so I could cut back there.

sweetsurprise13
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM

i pack lunched and drinks for hubby and my son is in vpk for half a day so he eats here with me. We used to spend way too much on eating out for lunch but now we don't.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)