Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Seasonal Spending Challenge Day 4: Entertain at Home

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 97 Replies

It seems like everyone wants to get together during the holidays, but meeting friends for a night out can get expensive. Entertain friends and family with a home cooked meal. Even better - do it pot luck style and have everyone bring a dish. You will save the costs of gas, overpriced restaurant meals, and drinks.

Do you ever host potluck dinners? How often do you get together with friends? What's your best tip for saving on holiday get-togethers?

Did you miss yesterday's challenge? You need to participate in at least 10 of the challenge posts for a chance to win the $50 gift card. Sign up here to join the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Moms_Angels1960
by Cheryl on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:16 AM

I host pot lucks all the time whenever family comes they have to bring a dish of something.

My best tip have everyone bring 1 dish.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:24 AM

I dont have that big of a family, but on Thanksgiving I cook. Usually my Grandma brings something and my Mom does.

michiganmom116
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:06 AM

We'll get together with friends a few times.  All of the meals we host during the holidays are potluck dinners. 

My best tip for saving?  A buffet style meal with Chinet plates, Vanity napkins, and regular everyday silverware is adequate.  Focus on visiting with friends over having a fancy menu.  Ask older kids to "cater" and serve the meal/keep buffet dishes filled.

ReesesPieces
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this
We usually dont do pot lucks....or many get togethers. I really want to have my BFF's family over for fondue this holiday season. I think everyone would enjoy it....except maybe the men because it's not a "manly" thing to do. lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I don't host pot lucks dinners, and I get together at least once a month with friends. 

I buy early to try to save, and look for deals.   

4kidz916
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I have my whole family over for Christmas brunch.  I look for sales and I try to buy things ahead of time so I don't have to foot the bill all at once right at the holidays. 

mommybug77
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Never do potlucks. I host about 6 times a year
natesmom1228
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:26 AM

We have get togethers all the time. We recently hosted a game night with 15 people. We save by shopping early, looking for sales and usually everyone brings something to share.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Pot lucks!  These are the best money savers and a great way to try new dishes.

mommy_2_be_2010
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM
It's just me and my daughter we rarely get together with family anymore
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)