Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Seasonal Spending Challenge Day 4: Entertain at Home

Posted by   + Show Post

It seems like everyone wants to get together during the holidays, but meeting friends for a night out can get expensive. Entertain friends and family with a home cooked meal. Even better - do it pot luck style and have everyone bring a dish. You will save the costs of gas, overpriced restaurant meals, and drinks.

Do you ever host potluck dinners? How often do you get together with friends? What's your best tip for saving on holiday get-togethers?

Did you miss yesterday's challenge? You need to participate in at least 10 of the challenge posts for a chance to win the $50 gift card. Sign up here to join the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-60):
godsgirl26
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM
My family don't come over i refuse to deal with drama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
godsgirl26
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:56 PM
But i don't really save on the holidays :( my mil makes a lot of food and so do we.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frankiesma530
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM

To save money, I eat at someone elses house and bring a dish lol

Jenni_Lynne71
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM
We always do potlucks style gatherings for birthdays, and most holidays. We also try to have a family get-together once a month where everyone brings a dish and we will have a bonfire or we play cards, boardgames or video games during the cooler months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deedee3849
by Deanne on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I love potlucks. It just makes sense to have everyone contribute to a family get together so all the stress and cost isn't given to just the host. I think the best tips is to have everyone bring something!

stephwordelman1
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

dont really do any pot lucks lately. 

kerryket
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I have never hosted a potluck for home, only for school events and meetings.  We get together with friends a couple of times a month, barbecue is our best bet, everybody is happy and I can make low cost sides like potato salad, salads and things like that.

Flaca43
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM

We do have potluck dinners and everyone brings something to all the holiday dinners and parties. It does help out financially for everyone.

jhelmke
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:35 PM

We do potlucks off and on. I try to buy items on sale.   I like doing desserts or crockpot dishes.

momto3isme
by Dawn on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:02 PM

We go over to our neighbors and they come over here for dinners.  We trade off with each other.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)