Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Smarter Seasonal Spending Challenge Day 4: Entertain at Home

Posted by   + Show Post

It seems like everyone wants to get together during the holidays, but meeting friends for a night out can get expensive. Entertain friends and family with a home cooked meal. Even better - do it pot luck style and have everyone bring a dish. You will save the costs of gas, overpriced restaurant meals, and drinks.

Do you ever host potluck dinners? How often do you get together with friends? What's your best tip for saving on holiday get-togethers?

Did you miss yesterday's challenge? You need to participate in at least 10 of the challenge posts for a chance to win the $50 gift card. Sign up here to join the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (61-70):
jrcjjcinc
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I have never done the potluck dinners but when I do host parties, I will do the potluck dinners.  I really don't go out with friends since I do not have many, I am at home with the kids all the time and I don't like to "waste" money on myself.  The best tip for saving is if you do surveys and make money for them or get gift cards, use the gift cards as presents.

Myrick4pack
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM
No. I don't host parties or get together w/ friends. We don't have the time or $$.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LS1030
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM
We have friends over a lot and will so a potluck sometimes. When you host, sometimes it costs way more than if you had just went out. I prefer to go out sometimes but use a coupon and be responsible for my own meal.

Guga485
by New Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I no longer live near my family, but when I was close we always did the potluck thing. We also drew names and did 10.00 gift exchanges for Christmas.

MissyB1011
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM

We do live further out in a rural area than many of our friends, so we usually don't host family or friends. We typically go to other's houses. We participate on potlucks and always have a great time. We also divide up the cooking for holidays, so one family doesn't get stuck with all the expense.

lynettemommie4
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM

when I get together with family its usually potluck. Dont get together with friends much anymore.

shishie
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM

We liv close to meat packing district, I go and buy at cheaper prices.

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM

we host all the time.. summers is bbq's and winter is homemade dinners.  we also have snack party and the guest bring things to drink :)

Elise_Gurrola
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:57 AM
We do potluck dinners also. It is way and you don't have to spend all day in the kitchen and can really enjoy your guest. Also you get to try new dishes that your friends and family like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaBear1130
by New Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:53 AM
We have a large family, so potlucks are always the best bet! Also around Christmas, we draw names for who brings what to the table. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)