Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Smarter Seasonal Spending Challenge Day 4: Entertain at Home

Posted by   + Show Post

It seems like everyone wants to get together during the holidays, but meeting friends for a night out can get expensive. Entertain friends and family with a home cooked meal. Even better - do it pot luck style and have everyone bring a dish. You will save the costs of gas, overpriced restaurant meals, and drinks.

Do you ever host potluck dinners? How often do you get together with friends? What's your best tip for saving on holiday get-togethers?

Did you miss yesterday's challenge? You need to participate in at least 10 of the challenge posts for a chance to win the $50 gift card. Sign up here to join the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (71-80):
MooNFaeRie30
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:23 AM

i do not host get togethers cause my place is too small, but for the most part we do things at peoples houses cause we are all broke especially with having little kids lol

CameronsMommy23
by Amber on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:24 AM
We have family dinners all the time but not friend get together really. Once we get a bigger house next yr I'd love to host a pot luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammapav
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Yes I have had a couple of Potluck dinner with Friends and Family.  Most of the time I just  really plan for the Holidays buying  things that I need on sale way before the Holidays but there is always people who still surprise me with deserts or a snacks of some kind.

MommaTo312
by New Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM
The only time our family really gets together is for holidays and birthdays. I think its best when everyone brings a dish.
LadyDione1
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I will host a pot-luck dinner this year for Thanksgiving

MommyOfOne2710
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM
We always get together at home. My family is too huge to go to a restaurant. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:59 PM

We never host meals. We do get together at the holidays for a meal but it's not a pot luck, no one is expected to bring anything. I usually bake for it though.

Angelfaces
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:42 PM

I don't host pot luck dinners.  I'll go out with 2 different group of friends for  holiday get togethers.  Sometimes one of them is a pot luck.

The family gathering I always supply the cookies!   With a large group for pot luck my tip would be to have everyone prepick a food catagory or assign a catagory so you don't end up with lots of sweet treats and not much for the main dishes.

SassyLeigh
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:10 AM

We don't have very many family get together. Usually on birthdays if you can get everyone to show up. The only family here is my husbands family and they have grown apart a lot in the last few years, even with everyone living so close. Most of them live in the same town, but it doesn't seem like we ever get anyone to get along or show up. It's pretty sad.

hfaddis
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:12 PM

we often do dinners with family or friends but almost always at our home sometimes theirs, we try to all contribute towards the food that way the cost isnt on any individual family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN