Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Smarter Seasonal Spending Challenge Day 4: Entertain at Home

Posted by   + Show Post

It seems like everyone wants to get together during the holidays, but meeting friends for a night out can get expensive. Entertain friends and family with a home cooked meal. Even better - do it pot luck style and have everyone bring a dish. You will save the costs of gas, overpriced restaurant meals, and drinks.

Do you ever host potluck dinners? How often do you get together with friends? What's your best tip for saving on holiday get-togethers?

Did you miss yesterday's challenge? You need to participate in at least 10 of the challenge posts for a chance to win the $50 gift card. Sign up here to join the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (81-90):
earthangel1967
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Yes I do host potlucks and We make our own holiday meals at home.

View Full Size Image YVONNE

allyn9
by Carey on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I don't really do potluck dinners, but because I do host more often than other family or friends (at least monthly), I find the invited guests have become generous in offering to bring things.  I take them up on whatever they would like to do, and find the result is usually an appetizer, a dessert and a bottle or 2 of wine brougt by guest.  

I guess for saving on holoday get-togethers, my tip would be to do what I said above, that is to accept offers of help.  

JerseyGirl511
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Don't have potlucks and my mom always cooks on holidays.

sasterns
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM

My family and I are always doing pot luck holiday dinners.  We all get together and decide where we are going to have it and then decide what everyone is going to bring.  It is wonderful!

bether89
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM

We do lots of potluck dinners with friends especially around the holidays.

lynda0322
by New Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM

This is almost a weekly thing for us. We get together with another couple and we usually BBQ or just cook dinner together. We split the cost of everything 50/50.

pampire
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:53 PM

do it potluck and do just apps and desserts.

Princessofscots
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:06 AM

My family, is all originally from Northern Minnesota, where pot lucks are pretty much staples. Haha. Even when hosting big things like Thanksgiving dinners, everyone makes something to go along with the meal. Saves everyone some money. Other than that, not sure we will really be doing much entertaining, as we will be in transition from my apartment to our house, so things are going to be kinda kooky, especially in November.

barrier
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Every gathering I have or the fam has is potluck style
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clowry02
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I do all the cooking and family brings the desert

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN