Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Seasonal Spending Challenge Day 4: Entertain at Home

Posted by   + Show Post

It seems like everyone wants to get together during the holidays, but meeting friends for a night out can get expensive. Entertain friends and family with a home cooked meal. Even better - do it pot luck style and have everyone bring a dish. You will save the costs of gas, overpriced restaurant meals, and drinks.

Do you ever host potluck dinners? How often do you get together with friends? What's your best tip for saving on holiday get-togethers?

Did you miss yesterday's challenge? You need to participate in at least 10 of the challenge posts for a chance to win the $50 gift card. Sign up here to join the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (91-97):
ashleymosq
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 11:14 AM

We really don't have a whole lot of friends that we get to gether with. When we do it is usually bbq at our house or theirs. I have never had a potluck though.  

minnie31mouse
by New Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I dont host pot lucks even for family events.  I ususally do the whole dinner myself...I think once I was tight on cash so I asked the older kids to bring desert for everyone....It was nice not to have to worry about that detail

newmommy82012
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Yes I do. If we are getting together everyone chooses there own thing to bring. Some will bring a main dish some drinks and others dessert. It makes it less expensive.
Mommi4ever2010
by New Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Ive never had a pot kick but I believe I may try this
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alongroadhome
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Keep it simple. Rotate whose house is the host house so the cost is not on one person every year for every holiday. If family is big enough have each person bring one part such as 1 person is assigned cocktails, 1 person desert, entree, salad, etc. This way it is split up among people

sweetmissy_05
by Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM
No not really. But I do like to go to potluck dinners.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MDWife12
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:38 AM

We live anywhere from 2-4 hours away from family so we don't usually do this :( plus I hate entertaining people LOL :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)