Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Seasonal Spending Challenge Day 6: Buy in Bulk

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 106 Replies
1 mom liked this

Shopping for large amounts of certain items can save you money in the long run. By getting a membership to a sales club or even buying larger packages at your grocery store, your cost per item goes down. Try to estimate how much toilet paper, paper towels or granola bars your family needs for the next month or so and buy in bulk. But be careful! You won't see the savings if you get things your family doesn't end up using! 

Do you buy in bulk? What types of things do you get?

shopping

Did you miss yesterday's challenge? You need to participate in at least 10 of the challenge posts for a chance to win the $50 gift card. Sign up here to join the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReesesPieces
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this
We have 5 kids. I think the better question is what dont we buy in bulk. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this
We don't buy everything at Sams club though. I coupon shop, so for me buying in bulk is buying a lot when it's on sale. I bought 38 boxes of Post cereal this week. (Plus 16 General Mills). Why? Because I got them for about $.50 a box! I found a sale on our favorite TP 2 weeks ago and payed $4.99 (after coupon) for 16 rolls. I bought 10 packs. That's $160 rolls. :)

So buying in bulk is a must but I don't get the deals at bulk stores like Sam's club.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CameronsMommy23
by Amber on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:13 AM
We bought a Sam's club membership once. It didn't seem to be such a great deal for us. We gave one free membership to a family member and didn't know that since my dh was the cardholder he had to be the one present to use the membership. Lol And the store is not in our town.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyGirl511
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:27 AM

I buy toilet paper and paper towels in bulk at Walmart.

momto3isme
by Dawn on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:05 AM
We buy in bulk when items we use are on sale.
Lo1427
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:13 AM
We shop at sams club a lot, but you have to be careful with some items there because they are more expensive than just buying them at a regular store.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Not usually.

deedee3849
by Deanne on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:52 AM

I do not buy in bulk. I would love to but I do not have the room to store it. I was just thinking about this this morning when I discovered we had one roll of tp left!!! I'd love to buy a huge stash of it but I have no where to put it.

MelisaAnderson
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:10 AM
I have a sams membership, although it is two hours away.. We do buy certain item in bulk.. I don't have a lot of room to store stuff
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM

No we are not a bulk shoppers.  If we do it's always meat that we buy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)