Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Smarter Seasonal Spending Challenge Day 9: Barter with Friends

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 91 Replies

Talk to your friends or neighbors about helping each other out. Offer to run a few errands or watch their kids some day. In exchange, perhaps they will watch your kids so you can save on a babysitter while you run errands or head to a holiday party.

Do you ever trade services with your friends or neighbors? How often do you barter with friends for babysitting?

on phone

Did you miss yesterday's challenge? You need to participate in at least 10 of the challenge posts for a chance to win the $50 gift card. Sign up here to join the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 6:36 AM

I've bartered for babysitting with friends and always got the short end of the stick, so I stopped.

I do barter with items...more tangible goods.  It's easier to put a value on something you can see.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 18, 2012 at 7:32 AM

I have never bartered before. It's a neat idea though

deedee3849
by Deanne on Oct. 18, 2012 at 7:55 AM

One year my friend and I traded crafts. I wanted a quilt and she wanted a floral swag so we made each other gifts since she could quilt and I could do floral stuff.

ReesesPieces
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Like Rhonda, I kept getting the short end of the stick so I stopped. People ask me to watch their kids all the time (as if 5 kids under the age of 7 aren't enought), and now I just tell them no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bertie4
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Well I don't need a babysitter since my children are grown. BUT when they were younger and I had two boys close in age (16 1/2 months apart), I kept my neighbors girl but she couldn't handle the three of them together.

Beauty91805
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM
I actually never do. Not sure why. But its not a bad idea though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I tried it a few times and I usually ended up doing all the babysitting and when I needed the favor returned no one could do it.  If you have a reliable circle of friends of I'm sure it's great. 

e.sugarbaby
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:20 AM
It seems like it would be a good idea..but for different reasons it never really works out well.....so I guess ...never....
batjmom
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I never have. 

tabby1979
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I trade babysitting with a friend who's hubby is on a boat currently.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement