Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Smarter Seasonal Spending Challenge Day 14: Have the Conversation

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 72 Replies

Talk to your friends and family about giving (and not giving!) gifts this year. It might be a difficult conversation to have but most people will probably be happy you did. Perhaps you don't need to get every niece and nephew a gift. Suggest doing a secret Santa type party or just getting together as a family to celebrate.

Do you get gifts for all your relatives? Will you talk to family about reducing the number of gifts this year?

Did you miss yesterday's challenge? You need to participate in at least 10 of the challenge posts for a chance to win the $50 gift card. Sign up here to join the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:54 AM
I get gifts for everyone. Ds is the only kid in my family, so I get for only adults anyway.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MDWife12
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:24 AM

We just focus on our kids and we do try to at the very least get our parents something, other than that we don't have the money to get every family member something.

batjmom
by Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:37 AM

We do not buy for the entire family.   That we stopped a few years ago.  So no conversations like that this year

natesmom1228
by Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Yes, I get gifts for almost all of my relatives. This year it's only one thing per person. I got my 2 sisters a couple book, like the entertainment books, but for our city only. We love them and use them all the time. My mom loves gnomes so I got her one for her garden. They are just little things so they have something to open.

Shopsha0911
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:44 AM

No we do not get gifts for all the relatives that stopped years and years ago. We buy gifts for my kids, spouce, my neices, newphew and my mother. My husbands family does not communicate with him so we don't buy gifts from any of them. 

othermom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:48 AM

We give to a few people, but not many

goddess99
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I buy couple gifts. My brother and his wife get 1 thing and same for my mom and her dh and my dad and his wife. I mostly buy for my dd. I will probably get my dh something but we are saving for weekend getaways so it won't be anything huge.

earthangel1967
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I get gifts for my husband and our 5 young adult kids and their s/o's and for my fil and our cat and bird and also my sister only bc she is very very poor so we want to help her

We don't get for our sil, bil, neice or nephew, aunts or uncles or my parents.

A few years ago my parents BEGGEd us to stop getting them gifts bc they didnt need or want anything and if they ever did they just got it themselves during the year. So we said only if you dont get us a gift either so they reluctantly agreed. We agreed we didnt need to exchange gifts to be happy spending time together during the holidays which is most important

View Full Size Image YVONNE

PEEK05
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:56 AM

We only get gifts for the kids of the family.

anotherhalf
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:57 AM

We do buy for the whole family.  My inlaws would never do the no-gift thing and I don't want to be the scrooge, so gifts it is.

Also, if I want to have the talk with my sister it would have to be for next Christmas since she buys gifts all year long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN