Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Smarter Seasonal Spending Challenge Day 15: Holiday Happiness

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 74 Replies

Take time to talk to your kids about the meaning of the holidays now. Explain to them that it's about being together with friends and family. Teach them about giving to others and encourage them to make gifts for you and the rest of the family. Perhaps they have something they can donate to a child in need.

Do your kids expect a lot of gifts?

Did you miss yesterday's challenge? You need to participate in at least 10 of the challenge posts for a chance to win the $50 gift card. Click here for a list of all 15 days

by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReesesPieces
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

They expect Santa to come and yeah, they probably expect a lot of gifts because they are little and 10 gifts is a HUGE amount to them.  However, they do know what the meaning of Christmas is all about.  We spend 25 days having devotionals about Christ and the meaning of Christmas.  We have 25 days of serving others through random acts of kindness and charity.  We have 25 days of family fun.  So every single day before Christmas we have 3 ways to focus on our family and on the real reason for Christmas.  By the time Santa comes, they know full well what the purpose of Christmas is, and they have also had 25 opportunities to love and serve others. 

momto3isme
by Dawn on Oct. 26, 2012 at 9:23 AM
They always want a lot of gifts this year they won't be getting a lot of presents. My oldest dd 12 understands why though and is ok with it.
Anniebel22
by Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 9:30 AM
Our kid is 2 and doesn't really expect anything yet. I'm sure the time is coming.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CassSpade
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

no. We celebrate all of the holidays, so we keep the presents to the minimal in order not to override all of the other celebrations of the days before and the days after. Their Grandmas go way overboard, so that's fun for them. But they never expect anything, they're just not like that.

They told me yesterday that their favorite holiday is Diwali. My Son likes giving food to Lakshmi and my daughter likes making the big pretty flowers on our front porch.

WritingMom777
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM

We have always been so open about our finances with our child (not to frighten but to let them know reality of money). So our child is more apt to say: "okay if you only have money for 2 things, this is what I want." and "that toy is way too expensive.  I'll pick something else." So sometimes we have to say that it is okay to put down lots of wishes . . ..and our child knows that is what they are . .. .wishes.

By the way, when your children are really young, one great way to make them feel they are getting more gifts (assuming you can only afford a certain amount), is to open up the toy package with accessories or multiple toys and simply wrap them individually.  We did that one year when money was really tight. I had gotten a great deal a package of small pokemon toys (marked down to $10). Because we were also getting our child a bike, we couldn't afford much else that year.  So I wrapped those individual pokemon toys and it looked like our child had more gifts.  I had a friend who only got her one year old child a couple of teething toys because the one year old was happy just playing with the wrapping paper and bows (and had plenty of toys through an older sibling). 

MDWife12
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM

They better not! :) Seriously though we are trying to teach the kids about being greatful and not greedy - especially during the holiday season!

mem82
by Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:20 PM

No, they don't really expect a ton. They're usually pretty happy with what they get.

LadyDione1
by Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:22 PM

My son knws about the real meaning of Christmas, and he still believes in Santa at this point.  He makes his wishlist in Sept....usually 5 items, and I focus on those gifts for him as well as a couple things that he needs, and something educational.

goddess99
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Not really but she expects some of what she really likes. She's 10 and still believes in Santa but I did tell her that Santa brings the gifts but he sends the bill to us so take it easy on the list.

lol

Beauty91805
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:23 PM
I always speak to my daughter about the important things in life. But I think as a child she does expect everyone to get her a gift lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN