Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

For the last time....

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:32 AM
  • 11 Replies

Yesterday my almost 5 year old came to me with tears in his eyes. His older brother wouldn't play with him and it broke his heart. He seemed oversensitive and moody so I offered to spend time with him, having him sit on my lap while I read a book.

Within a few minutes my son was sound asleep on my lap. I could hear his breathing change as he drifted off into sleep. I stroked his face and smelled his head, just as I did when he was a baby. I thought to myself, "this is probably the last time I will ever hold one of my children as they sleep". It has been at least a year since this has happened last.

Even though I had other things to do, I just could not bring myself to let this opportunity pass. Sometimes you don't realize the "last time" as it's happening and sometimes you are fortunate enough to be able to treasure it.

I held my son and watched him sleep. I felt his heart beating. Warm and cozy under the blanket on the chair. Ahhhh, peaceful. Reminiscing of how time flies. From newborn baby to my rambunctious almost 5 year old with a gentle, sweet, spirit. My precious baby boy, growing up before my very eyes.

I'm not quite sure if this was the last time I will get to hold one of my boys as they sleep. I hope not but time and maturity says it may be. Nonetheless, I'm so grateful I experienced it one......more......time.

Do you remember any special "last time's"?

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Aawww.. i know how that feels :) my teen came up to me the other day and i grabbed him and hugged him.. he fought it at first but then let me hold him for a while.. he is 16 and taller then me... but still :)  and my girl is sleeping in her bed and sometimes asks me to cuddle with her, last night was one of those nights and I looked at her little hands and noticed how they are still baby chubby, she is still my baby (at 6) and I do stop to enjoy the little things, which are not that little ;)

Happy you had some time to stop and enjoy your son... by the way, my daughter gets all sensitive too when her brother shuns her away. He does feel bad afterwords and plays with her.

MDWife12
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I love those moments!

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 24, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Aww what a great story. My kids do not nap anymore I miss holding them while they sleep.

cjsmom1
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Awww that's so sweet

ReesesPieces
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM
Oh crap! You made me cry!!! lol. I know. I look at my babies that aren't babies any more and I think of all the time I wasted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Last summer we were up late because we had some out of town family visiting.   It was chilly and there was limited seating around the fire so my 12y DD started out sharing my chair... after a while I had subconsciously swooped her into cradle position and she fell asleep laying across my lap in the chair.     Can't see that mix of circumstances happening again, but I do still play with their hair / head if they fall asleep next to me on the sofa.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM
My DD started menstruating a couple of weeks ago. It didn't really hit me until then that my baby girl is growing up.
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:35 PM
OTOH, having a grandchild brings all of those moments back! Being a grandma gives me a second chance to enjoy those "last times."
deedee3849
by Deanne on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

OTOH, having a grandchild brings all of those moments back! Being a grandma gives me a second chance to enjoy those "last times."

My mom says the same thing. She loves getting to experience all of those moments again.

deedee3849
by Deanne on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Quoting FindersKeepers:

Last summer we were up late because we had some out of town family visiting.   It was chilly and there was limited seating around the fire so my 12y DD started out sharing my chair... after a while I had subconsciously swooped her into cradle position and she fell asleep laying across my lap in the chair.     Can't see that mix of circumstances happening again, but I do still play with their hair / head if they fall asleep next to me on the sofa.

So maybe I'll get another chance between now and 12 =) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN