Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fall Freebies To Fill Your Calendar

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this

The weather is pretty amazing, huh? Sure, a bit chilly at night, but Fall is here. After spending some cash on back-to-school stuff and now looking ahead to the holidays just around the corner (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, all of them), we'll be outlaying a bit more moolah in the upcoming months. That is why I've been trying to find some fun Fall freebies to get on the calendar. Some ideas, activities, get out and about things to do that don't cost money (or too much money).

Apple and pumpkin picking - Pick a nice weekend and find out where there are some fabulous farms to grab a bucket of apples or a pumpkin or two. Everyone in the family can do this one...and then spend a few afternoons making apple pie or apple crumble or pumpkin pie. Yum!

Get Your Library On - These months are filled with cool happenings we celebrate. We've got Columbus Day and Halloween and Christmas, let alone Veteran's Day, why we switch our clocks and Election Day. Head to the library and see what you can find out about all of these events. It may spark some cool new interests for the kiddos.

Chillin' with Chili - Why not come up with new twists on chili? Every weekend, try a new recipe. Or gather some friends and have a chili cook-off -- yes, this involves buying the groceries, but have everyone swap little Tupperwares of the spicy and tasty creations to freeze and eat as the months go on.

Red, Yellow, Orange - Go see that fall foliage. As the leaves start to turn color, head out and explore. Collect some leaves and make a huge collage or a homemade wreath for the fridge door.

What fun things do you have planned this Fall that don't cost much money? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/Trout55    

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momto3isme
by Dawn on Oct. 1, 2012 at 6:06 AM

We go to the beach and for rides.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Oct. 1, 2012 at 6:07 AM

I think we are going to go to the zoo because it is a little cooler now.

michiganmom116
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:28 AM
Well, it won't happen THIS fall due to the loss of apples thanks to the weather, but we usually drive the side/back roads looking for wild-growing apple trees and pick BUSHELS of apples, then go to my uncle for some cider making! The kids love it!
michiganmom116
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:29 AM
My DD has been enjoying exploring the color in the trees and gathering leaves. She puts them between two sheets of waxed paper and irons them until the waxed paper is sealed together, then she frames it in some extra picture mats I've given her...makes for some beautiful window art!
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:30 AM

We plan on decorating pumpkins and going toting

deedee3849
by Deanne on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I'd love to go for a nature hike with the kiddos and collect some things to do some crafts. 

AzariahsMother
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:19 AM

We don't have anything planned other then going to pick our pumpkins. 

AzariahsMother
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:28 AM

What a fun fall thing to do.  Most of our animals are already put up for the winter, so we wouldn't be able to see anything.  We have our inside zoo, but it's not free and I don't like it as much as I like our other.  Hope you guys have fun. 

Quoting jbyrd898:

I think we are going to go to the zoo because it is a little cooler now.

.Angelica.
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:28 AM

we will be going to the pumpkin patch in a couple weeks then carving pumpkins.

AzariahsMother
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Hiking sounds like fun. 

Quoting deedee3849:

I'd love to go for a nature hike with the kiddos and collect some things to do some crafts. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)