Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 9 Weeks!

Posted by   + Show Post

Um, do you see the above? We are down to single digits, ladies...only nine weeks left til December. Yes, Halloween is before that as is Thanksgiving, but we all know, even before the last of the Halloween candy is munched, the stores will be showing ornaments, stuffed elves and garland made of felt Santa hats.

Yes, winter and holiday décor will be all around us...and make us all get into the spirit. Before you grab a bundle, try some of these cool ideas that you can make yourself - not only will they be original, but they will also help that family piggy bank.

-- Pinecones and ribbons. Send the kids outside to gather some pinecones. Grab that white spray paint, give them a spritz. Once they are dry, tie some red or gold or blue or whatever color you want ribbon around them. Hang them from doorknobs, banisters, the front door...so easy and so inexpensive.

-- Winter in a jar. I love this one from Elisa McLaughlin - all you need are a few Mason jars, some salt and little trees and glue and you can make a gorgeous mantle arrangement or centerpiece.

-- Wool ball garland. Seriously cute and so simple. You wet the wool roving, ball it up, let it dry and then tread them together. Again a perfect decoration for a banister or over the stockings on the mantle. The blog According to Kelly has pics and easy-to-follow instructions.

-- Paper trees. Bits of scrapbook paper, scissors and glue are all you need. Check out the hints and how-tos at Making Lemonade blog.

How do you decorate for the holidays? Do you make your own? Let's share pics! 

©iStockphoto.com/ jsnover 

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-39):
allyn9
by Carey on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Decortaing for the holidays starts here the weekend after Thansgiving.  2 big trees in the house (family room and rec room), 6 smaller ones and many wreaths and other decorations.  (Can you tell I love Christmas?!?!)  The tree in the family room has only handmade ornaments or those my family and I have purchased as souvenirs from trips we've taken.

bertie4
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:24 PM

We have a lot of homemade decorations for the tree. I have lots of decorations for the house that accumulated over the years.

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:59 AM

by the way, with your heads up I have been looking to have everything in order as to where are the decorations and so... I have them all ready for the tree and the house... but for now we have to decorate for Halloween lol :)

i.heart.myboys
by Amber E on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I do a little here and there ebcause we live in an apartment but hope when we move into a house we will have more room to do so.

ReesesPieces
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM
We usually don't make our own decorations.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM
We do have a 12 foot tree, lots of garland, and 5 nativities. I get 1 a year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:08 AM
I also collect those decorative trees - like the cone ones covered with feathers, fabric, bulbs, glitter, whatever. I have probably 20-25 of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Great ideas. We have lights and decorations for christmas and a few decorations for halloween. I like the pinecone idea

clowry02
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:45 PM

thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)