Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Redecorate on a Budget

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

Sometimes, like when I am procrastinating...okay, especially when I'm procrastinating, I like to redo the abode. Redecorate, hunt for a new thing to go right there, imagine ways to maximize our tight quarters here in NYC. But, the only thing that always comes up is the money to do this apartment redo -- money that isn't necessarily in the budget or, when it is in the budget, it is, how do I put it, rather slim.

Which leads to rather slim pickings on what I can do to give our little home a new, fresh look (and continue the procrastination with a purpose endeavor). I've researched many ways to make a big décor changeroo for not much money. 

-- Move your furniture. I know, sounds like a "Duh!" kind of suggestion, but when was the last time you really thought to move that couch to a new spot...instead of looking for a new couch for the old spot? Go one step further and swap furniture from room to room. That chair in the guest bedroom? Maybe move it to the family room and switch that other chair to the basement. Put an ottoman or repainted chair from the basement in that guest bedroom.

-- Get rid of furniture. Often rooms start to look too cramped. You know that little bookshelf that doesn't hold much anyway? Sell it at your next garage sale or use it in the garage to hold tools to open up a corner. You'd be surprised how moving out little pieces here and there can really make a huge impact.

-- Recover, recover, recover. Get some material and recover chairs, throw pillows, ottomans and transform a room instantly. Get a new duvet cover for your bedspread or a coverlet and all of a sudden, you have a brand new look and feel to that bedroom. So easy -- and not too much money is spent.

-- Paint. We've said this many times, but painting is the cheapest way to change the look of a room. Even one wall or the trim or giving the room a fresh coat of paint is enough to feel like you've done a big renovation.

When was the last time you redecorated? How do you save money when redoing a room?

©iStockphoto.com/KRUS       

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:24 AM

i usually change small things and move some other around. I mainly buy curtains, throws, table clothes and stuff like that and it makes a room "look" different.

natesmom1228
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I redecorated the living room. We bought new chairs and replaced an awful recliner.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:57 AM

It's been a while since I've redecorated the main living areas, but I've redecorated/painted two bedrooms in the past year.

mrswillie
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

We are redecorating our bedroom now. We laid new floor, got new furniture, window treatments and wall decor annd I am going to paint.

Most of the furniture, wlal decor and window treatments are used.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I haven't really redone anything in a very long time. One of the downfalls of renting.

goddess99
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:14 AM

We just redid our bedroom this last weekend. We made a headboard for our bed and moved it to the other side of the room. We had 90% of the things we needed. Probably spent less than $20 for the rest.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I get new throw pillows. :)

AzariahsMother
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:46 AM

It's been a long time since we have done anything.  Due to an upcoming move, we are redecorating.  Hoping for a fresh look.

ReesesPieces
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Earlier this year I redecorated our upstairs bathroom and it was pretty inexpensive - a gallon of paint, some new towels and it gave the room a great new look.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalasmama2007
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM
We redid everything when we moved into our house 2 years ago.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN