Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Are you cutting back on this years Christmas budget or will it be about the same as last years?

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Replies (41-47):
ReesesPieces
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:50 PM

We tried something similar, but I just didn't like it.  I always had special, magical christmasses when I was a child, so I just couldn't do it.  I wanted massive gobs of presents under the tree while my kids still believe.  As they get older, we will cut back but for now, we do the big Christmas.  I think it's a great thing if someone can do the 3 or 4 gift thing.  I just couldn't hack it.  Go you!!!

Quoting seraphimsong:

Something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read.

We have a big family so even if I just do those things they'll still make out pretty good!

Quoting FindersKeepers:

What is the "Gift of 4" ???

Quoting seraphimsong:

Cutting back. We are doing the gift of 4 or whatever it's called. My kids always get way too much stuff.

Mommy4two
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Honestly, not really sure how it's going to pan out... I need to spend less but the items seem to get more expensive the older the kids get...

seraphimsong
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:38 AM
We always had Christmases like that when I was little too, but I can't tell you today the gifts I received then.

Now I try to teach my children about giving as well as receiving. Besides, like I said we have a large family so they will still get more than they need

Quoting ReesesPieces:

We tried something similar, but I just didn't like it.  I always had special, magical christmasses when I was a child, so I just couldn't do it.  I wanted massive gobs of presents under the tree while my kids still believe.  As they get older, we will cut back but for now, we do the big Christmas.  I think it's a great thing if someone can do the 3 or 4 gift thing.  I just couldn't hack it.  Go you!!!

Quoting seraphimsong:

We have a big family so even if I just do those things they'll still make out pretty good!

Quoting FindersKeepers:

Quoting seraphimsong:

Cutting back. We are doing the gift of 4 or whatever it's called. My kids always get way too much stuff.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:45 AM
Oh I am sorry if I came across as rude. I think what you're doing is great. We too have a large family (5 kids) but my hubby and I don't exchange gifts, and the only time my kids get toys or anything is on Christmas and 1 gift on their birthday.

We also do 25 days of service, 25 days of devotionals, and 25 days of Christmas fun. Every day we have a certain way to love and serve others - like deliver Christmas cards to the nursing home, bake and deliver cookies for all the neighbors, give random people in the store who look like they need it am envelope with cash in it. We pay for the drive thru order behind ours, just random ways to serve others. I think that the 2 (service and big Christmas) can coexist. I do agree that more emphasis needs to be placed on the service and real meaning of Christmas. We have 1 day of presents and 25 days of the real stuff. :)

Quoting seraphimsong:

We always had Christmases like that when I was little too, but I can't tell you today the gifts I received then.

Now I try to teach my children about giving as well as receiving. Besides, like I said we have a large family so they will still get more than they need

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Quoting seraphimsong:

Quoting FindersKeepers:

Quoting seraphimsong:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tatkins
by New Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:50 AM
We will definitely be cutting back!!
sarajane137
by New Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM

We are cutting back this year, we try to cut down every year by eliminating presents and spending time with people instead of buying a present. We set up time to meet with other families for dinner and a movie at their house or ours. It seems more like positive time spent, and my kids prefer it because we are less stressed.

Handmade cards are sent to teachers, long distance relatives and friends that we can't see over the holidays. The kids include drawings or pictures of themselves and I like to make blank gift tags or note cards to put in the card as a small gift. They are fun to make and aren't too extravagant.

momnarmywife710
by New Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I'm cutting back. I am sending less Christmas cards by at least half. I would stop completely this year but have a fun card making class tomorrow and making 20 Christmas cards. I will just be picky about who gets them.

I am not buying the Christmas present for my inlaws, bc they do gag gifts and I can't waste the money on stuff that is not funny. I have a 2 yr old and he doesn't need anything, man he is loaded with clothes and toys, so just some fun stuff to open for pictures. My hubby and I have marital troubles so won't be buying him anything, and already got my mom some things I bought on sale.

Cutting back this year for sure and see who even notices.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement