You don't need to knit or crochet to make a bowl with yarn. After soaking yarn in glue, each strand is placed over a bowl to dry. Kids will have fun creating a bowl for Halloween or any occasion. Follow these easy instructions.
Designed by Red Heart Design Team.
Red Heart® Super Saver®: 1 skein each Pumpkin A and 512 Black B.
Materials: Two bowls (one for mixing/soaking and one to use as your mold), plastic wrap, white glue, plastic spoon and newspaper.
Note: Place newspaper under project to protect work surface. This craft project will need to dry for 24 to 48 hours so start in an appropriate work area.
1. Take ¾ cup white glue and ¾ cup water and mix together in one bowl until well blended. (This amount can be reduced for small bowls, or you can mix more if you use up your glue mixture on a larger bowl.)
2. Turn second mixing bowl upside down. Take one strand of yarn and measure across the bowl from one side to the other. It is better to have a little more than not enough. Use that piece as a guide and cut 50 strands of A and 50 strands of B. Take a handful of A and B and soak in the glue mixture.
3. While yarn is soaking, place plastic wrap over the bowl covering entire bowl. Note: As yarn is used, add more yarn to the mixture for soaking.
4. Pull out yarn strands one at a time, running each strand between thumb and forefinger to remove excess glue. Place yarn strand over plastic-covered bowl. Continue this process, randomly selecting colors until entire bowl is covered.
5. Allow to dry for 24 to 48 hours depending on humidity.
6. Once yarn is completely dry, separate from the bowl, remove the plastic wrap and trim the edges.