Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

more for christmas..

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:49 AM
  • 14 Replies

i know this is for moms,but im a gramma.a gramma who has found herself with custody of 5 small grandkids.i have a 2 yr old,2 3 yr olds & 2 6 yr olds,just in time for the holidays right!so now i go from giving a couple small gifts to providing their entire christmas.i have depleted my savings just providing them with the basics.any suggestions on how i can get help would be soo helpfull.dont want these kids that have lost mommy to be disapointed with santa.

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amy127
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:18 AM
I suggest signing up for a local angel tree program or something similar. Also, you shouldn't have to be supporting financially. Did mother pass or lose custody? The children should be getting social security if mom.passed and your state should be giving you foster care payments if mom has.lost custody. Childrens rights has been going state to state suing for reform because of situations like yours. I hope you get the help you need, you are doing a wonderful thing for your grandchildren. It should not be a burden too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paknari
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:20 AM
LOcal churches help a lot. Also the Angel tree like she said. Good luck! And bless you for taking them in!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deedee3849
by Deanne on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:27 PM

There are many local charities that help families in need. If you have been given custody, Child Protective Services should be able to provide you with several resources to contact for your grandchildren. Many CPS Dept's also have kinship programs to help grandparents who are raising their grandchildren.

cjsmom1
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Angel tree at a local church, Toys for Tots, and many other local charities. Look into what resources are available in your area.

willow332002
by New Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:48 PM

their mother lost custody & because i am family not a foster parent i get no help.but thanks for the info! im going to check all of them out.

pumpkin50
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM

you can also try contact your local police dept. I know ours gives out toys to family's in need. I am sure their are guideline to follow.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Salvation army is usually pretty helpful. Also try some local churches.Good luck!

Seasal
by New Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM
My mom took my 10 month old nephew in when my brother & his wife lost custody. She had to take parenting & foster classes (funny cuz she was a elem teacher & had 4 kids). But then she was eligible for foster $. She had to adopt him or lose him at 3 years. As a foster 'mom' she got medical, daycare & foodstamps for him. The state social workers came to check up & told her all she could get including local charities for Xmas presents. After the adoption she did not get as much support tho. Why don't you call a local children's hospital or social service & keeping asking if you do not get a good answer at first. You should get (and truly deserve) some support since the kids are not fully funded by the state because of you. Start asking around to friends or family - some workplaces or schools sponsor families for Xmas. Good luck and God bless you for what you are doing.
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I am sorry for the predicament you are in.. it must be lots of work for you, but at least the little ones have you and you are doing a beautiful thing... hang in there.  About the help I would recommend for you to join a good church (if you dont belong to one already) they can give you moral support aside from other help. I know they provide toys and food for situations like yours.

We (my husband and I) were suppose to foster care for two children from my husband's niece and although we are family child protective services was going to pass them a check each... my husband works and I am a stay at home mom.. it was perfect for the children because they would have my full attention and we would have raised them as ours, but it didnt go through because our niece is a bubble-head and the state took them. I dont know in what state you are, but look into it really close, I am almost sure you are entitled to some help.

If what you want to do is get them something on your own, then I suggest you go to a thrift shop, they have (sometimes) nice things that can become gifts. I would also ask the rest of the family if they can bring each child a gift to put under the tree... it does not have to all be you :)

Also, are you good crafting? do you sew? you could always make them something.. and believe me, christmas is what you make out of it.. not only the gifts... bake them something, pick a christmas movie at the library and cuddle with them while watching it and eating homemade cookies :) it will be a night that they wont forget.  Good luck and hope to hear from you around here.

Quoting willow332002:

their mother lost custody & because i am family not a foster parent i get no help.but thanks for the info! im going to check all of them out.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
Amy127
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:55 PM
That is exactly why childrensrights.org is pushing for reform in all states. We have slowly seen positive changes here in MI. The children should not suffer (financially) because they are placed with family instead of in foster care. Please do look into your states kinship program.

Quoting willow332002:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)