Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 6 Weeks!

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies

I don't mean to freak anyone out but, we have six weeks til December is upon us. 1,2,3,4,5, 6!!!!! Okay, we can do this, folks. We've made lists, got the ideas flowing of what we want to give and what we want to get, purchased anything for "gifts in progress" we are making, right? Hit the craft store, perhaps snatched up some presents already? As we chatted about last week, if you are ordering anything to be personalized, you've figured out and ordered them...or at least know when you need to order them by so as not to spend dollars from our budget on unwanted shipping fees.

We've still got holiday decor and holiday party ideas and, of course, gift ideas galore to come in the next few weeks and once we get into December, but for now, we're kind of staying on the online ordering theme. I do a lot of my shopping online...it saves me money and time -- and I can do it on my couch in my pjs (I mean, what could be better, right?). But there are some definite ways to save money and keep on budget when ordering online. 

-- Stay organized. As you surf about, make a spreadsheet or list of where you find the best deals, who you have already ordered gifts for and who else you need to buy for. Keep that handy as you look around Amazon or Etsy. 

-- Try to do all of your online shopping at one or two sites. Consider giving most on your list books or scarves or ornaments, and then concentrate your efforts on one or two sites that offer free shipping and deals if you spend a certain amount, which can really up those savings.

-- Be safe. Use reputable online sellers. Before you enter any sort of personal information, check that there is an "s" at the end of the "http://" in the link of that site. You want to see: "https://"!

-- Find the codes. Different web sites offer codes for 10% off or Free Shipping or $20 off an order of $100. Surf around and see what codes are there for you to use.

How much ordering do you do online? What are your favorite sites to shop for gifts?

ŠiStockphoto.com/LilliDay

by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jbyrd898
by Jessica on Oct. 25, 2012 at 6:29 AM

I do a lot of ordering online. Great deals!

Anniebel22
by Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 7:32 AM
This auto correct made me giggle:
persoalzuez

We will do some shopping this weekend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I do quite a bit of ordering online. I love Amazon.

ReesesPieces
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:16 AM
We do some ordering online but most is done in store.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MDWife12
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I don't do much ordering online because I do love to actually go to the store and pick things out :) But I was shopping around on amazon last night and I have a couple things in the cart that I want to get the kids for Christmas. I actually kind of liked doing that because that way I know exactly how much some things will cost :)

goddess99
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:23 AM

We probably get 90% of all gifts online. I shop all over but most (not all) is from Amazon.

HeatherNYC
by Cafemom Blogger on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I know...that dang autocorrect...I always have to go back with a fine-tooth comb for some of these posts! Glad it made you giggle!

Thanks for reading!
Heather

Wish2Be
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:35 AM

My absolute favorite is Amazon ! :)

As long as they keep the free shipping for orders of $25 or more....we are definitely going to keep shoping there.

lalasmama2007
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:39 AM
I do about 30%-40% of my shopping online. I mostly order from Amazon, Kohls and Target. Sometimes I order from Toys R Us too if they have a decent free shipping deal.
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Alot!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)