Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Do You Look Over Your Bank Statements?

Posted by   + Show Post

I get a lot of mail...for some reason, my husband thinks this is my fault, as much of the mail, probably a good 82.8% of it is catalogs or junk mail. Granted, I like looking through catalogs in all of the spare three minutes I have each week, but we get them because, well, we ended up on some list at some point after ordering something online, I'm sure. But shoved in among the booklets from Lands End, One Step Ahead and Restoration Hardware are our bank statements.

Sure, we get them online, but they still send us the hard copy. And whether you get both as we do, just receive it electronically or just in the mail, it brings up the issue of reviewing it. Do you? Do you open it right up and check it over and make sure everything looks "right"?

I admit it, my husband does handle most of the bill paying, but I look over the statement. Knowing how much is in there, what checks went in and out of it, what withdrawals were made...all of it is essential, not only to be sure there wasn't a mistake, but also to keep tabs on how that Family Piggy Bank is doing. Going over it is a subtle way to remind yourself of goals, to give yourself pat on the back if that emergency savings fund is growing or you see your debt going down or -- yeah -- give yourself a kick in the tush to get back on the savings track if you've veered off course.

Do you look over your bank statments? How often -- every week online? Every month with paper statements? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/DNY59 

by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
KristinRox
by Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 8:41 AM

True story. One time my dad put a 500 dollar cheque into his account. When he went looking for it, they couldnt find it, and didnt have any record of it. The next day his brother came to him and told him about an extra 500 dollars in his account.... mystery solved. The bank put his cheque in his brothers account. 

Quoting AzariahsMother:

Yep, when ever they send them out. Check my account daily online. Banks can make errors too.

JOIN US ON:

deedee3849
by Deanne on Oct. 29, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I should more often than I do!

captain..
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Once a month!

trick or treat Happy Halloween!

natesmom1228
by Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I check them out online a couple times a month to make sure I am in good shape.

momto3isme
by Dawn on Oct. 29, 2012 at 9:08 AM
I check our one account every two or three days
Dh opened up a checking account here and didn't put my name on it so its up to him to handle that one and I know he doesn't check it
goddess99
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I check it a few times a week online.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 9:41 AM
This

Quoting Amy127:

I look online almost daily . I don't look at the paper statements at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Wow that's crazy. When we deposit things we put our account number on it

Quoting KristinRox:

True story. One time my dad put a 500 dollar cheque into his account. When he went looking for it, they couldnt find it, and didnt have any record of it. The next day his brother came to him and told him about an extra 500 dollars in his account.... mystery solved. The bank put his cheque in his brothers account. 

Quoting AzariahsMother:

Yep, when ever they send them out. Check my account daily online. Banks can make errors too.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Yes, online

aneela
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM

i try to every week but some weeks  i have missed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)