Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

You can have your cupcakes. You can have your candy. You can have your ice cream. I'm talking about those things that derail a diet. We all have that one food that can totally throw off our good work. For me, it's French fries. From McDonalds or from the five-star ritzy restaurant, doesn't matter, I love them. 

What is your budget buster? We all have those too...the ways we stray from the course, from the good track we are on. It could be anywhere, and often, they are a tad hidden, not so easy to find or discover til it's too late. Here are a few common hidden budget busters:

-- Gifts. Birthday gifts for family or little friends of the kiddos. Anniversaries. Mother's Day. The cards, the flowers, the last-minute "I forget Aunt Martha!" moments all add up. Try to stick within a budget for each gift or buy in bulk items you can give when they go on sale (I do this for kids' birthday gifts).

-- Gadgets. We see a new version of our phone or iPad or computer or TV and get "gadget envy" and want the newest and latest and fastest. Even if we do get a new phone, we convince ourselves that the purchase price is all that phone will cost...but then the earphones and the case and then an app or two. All of that adds up.

-- Eating out. We get into a routine when we fall back on take out or a dinner or two out a week. This adds up, especially for those with larger families.

-- The Shopping Spiral. Imagine you need something for the house, so you head to the store or the mall. You get what you need, but then you spot another item that you think you need...and then a cute t-shirt for your daughter...and then you spot a deal for your face cream if you also buy a new lipstick -- and you walk out spending triple (if not more) than what you had planned on. Yes, the shopping starts to spiral away from the one thing you actually needed into more things that are not necessarily a need, but more a want.

What are your hidden budget busters?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Sqback  

by on Oct. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
i.heart.myboys
by Amber E on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Star bucks sometimes.

Stevensmomma
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM

we do get pizza a few more times a month than we should and that adds up 

MDWife12
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:48 AM

My husbands cigarettes! One week he will smoke more than a different week!

MDWife12
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Eating out is definitely one - some days I just don't feel like cooking and unfortunately those days happen more often than not!

momto3isme
by Dawn on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Everything right now.

ava25
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 12:41 AM

She looks the same to me..

Learn how to be a work at home mom.

http://apsense.cc/22aa87

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:14 AM

eating out. :/ thats our problem... but we dont do much for family fun, so eating out is our "outings"

i.heart.myboys
by Amber E on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Birthdays

Karla1948
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Cigarettes is my budget buster. But I'm sure if I didn't blow money on cigarettes, I'd blow it on something else.

Advertising Banner Designs - Only $9.00

4kidz916
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:19 AM

I'm the same way.

Quoting .Angelica.:

i am actually pretty good about not spending money. even on stuff I need I shop around and find the best deal then it takes me a while to decide to actually buy it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)