Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 5 Weeks!

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 38 Replies

I'm not going to count it down til December...because I've done that so often and, frankly, I'm freaked out enough that November is upon us, I don't need to spread the freaked-out-ness. We've all got it. And for those of you that do an annual holiday party, you may be getting even more freaked out as you plan your shindig.

I love holiday parties and envision someday having a celebration each year as part of our tradition, but alas, we don't really have the space in our abode, so that is on hold. But that doesn't mean I haven't already thought of what we would do...and ways to throw that party without using up all our family piggy bank holiday funds. Parties can go over budget faster than a kid can say "I want Santa to bring me that" while watching ads on TV. I've got some great hints on what to save on and ideas on how to throw a great party while still watching your wallet.

-- Ditch the flower or fancy centerpiece. You can spend valuable moolah on flowers or store-made centerpieces. Use items you have around the house to make a centerpiece - a gathering of candles, a bowl of pinecones, an arrangement of ornaments. (Spoiler alert #1: we'll have fabu centerpiece ideas right before Thanksgiving on Nov. 12, so back then for more on this)!

-- Have a signature drink. Instead of a full bar offering or wine and beer even, have one signature drink like a winter sangria and one other offering like prosecco (Italian champagne) or a red wine you love that you can buy by the case and get a discount. Even if you aren't serving alcohol, having five different sodas and trying to please everyone's drink preference can add up. (Spoiler alert #2: we'll have ideas on great festive drink recipes and low-cost champagne options in December!)

-- Don't worry about matching. I'm talking glasses or plates or even tablecloths. Mix and match what you have in the home and make it eclectic. Or, if you really want to keep it simple and are buying items, choose a color theme vs. a holiday theme - all blue and silver or green and gold plates or napkins rather than a bowl with a Christmas tree trim or a tablecloth with Santa hats all over it. That way you can reuse these items at other occasions through the year and get more bang for your buck.

-- Ask folks to BYOB...or BYOD. Everyone is watching their wallets, so asking folks to bring whatever it is they want to drink or perhaps a dessert is a good way to save yourself a bit of money. Your guests will just be excited to gather and be merry and enjoy the other food you've prepared and won't mind helping out.

And spoiler alert #3: we are going to have great party food ideas and more budget party hints next week!

Are you plannning on throwing a holiday party? Do you already have invites to parties? Share your best holiday party memory!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ dp3010 

by on Nov. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM

We don't host holiday parties.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I'm not planning on having a holiday party.

elasmimi
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I always have a Christmas Eve brunch, and it does get expensive. I've already started preparing, bought g/c for the ham in two separate weeks, froze nuts, bought canned goods on sale, etc. It really helps.

MamaMandee
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:20 PM

We host almost all the family parties at our house but thankfully my MIL hosts Christmas at her's!! 

goddess99
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Never thrown or been invited to a holiday party. Noone I know does stuff like that. I have many great memories of family get togethers during the holidays.

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:29 PM

No holiday party ... but will be baking and making a covered dish for parties

.Angelica.
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:47 PM

no holiday party here. our house is much too small.

kellynh
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:51 PM
Not a holiday party... But a bday party beginning in dec
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM

5 weeks!!  Well I plan to cook the meal for Thanksgiving and Christmas and also have the family over for New Years Eve.

lalasmama2007
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:58 PM
We will be hosting Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN