Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 4 Weeks!

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies

Though we still may have a few morsels of Halloween candy left (that mini stash behind the baking soda!), we've moved beyond Halloween and are now in IT, with IT being holiday season. Sure, Thanksgiving arrives first, but it has somewhat morphed into the other holidays thanks to the commercial aspect of, well, everything.

We have four weeks til we flip the calendar to the page that says "December" at the top...and for those of us planning holiday parties that means four weeks til our house is invaded by loved ones and friends for a festive evening. We talked last week a bit about ways to cut costs and stay within our party budget, and one of the main ways to control that element: the food you choose to serve.   

-- Have a dessert party. Maybe it's a dessert party or, even better, a cookie party. You make provide the drinks (think coffee or cider and eggnog), the plates, and such, while everyone brings their favorite plate of gingersnaps or apple crumb cake.

-- Throw an afternoon "bowl" party. Use your crockpot and borrow one from your neighbor and fix a few yummy soups and chilies. Having that with some baskets full of bread is a less expensive way to feed your guests than platters of sandwiches.

-- Keep everything bite-sized. That way you don't have to worry about utensils or large plates or where people will sit to cut that bite off.

Share your best party food ideas -- we need receipes if you have 'em!

ŠiStockphoto.com/saw 

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:08 AM

I love appetizer parties!  I'll put out things such as meatballs in sauce or chicken wings (in crockpots.)  I've made various cheese balls or dips and put them out with veggies and a variety of crackers.  Miniature fruit kabobs and homemade rum dip is really easy.  Mini pizzas or pizza bites whip up fast and can be made ahead of time and just reheated.  Deviled eggs are a good one to add.  Serve cookies or bars as a "dessert".

cjsmom1
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Doing a bunch of appetizers sounds like a great idea. I think clean up is the worst part so doing finger foods would make for a much easier clean up.
slw123
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

I love appetizer parties!  I'll put out things such as meatballs in sauce or chicken wings (in crockpots.)  I've made various cheese balls or dips and put them out with veggies and a variety of crackers.  Miniature fruit kabobs and homemade rum dip is really easy.  Mini pizzas or pizza bites whip up fast and can be made ahead of time and just reheated.  Deviled eggs are a good one to add.  Serve cookies or bars as a "dessert".

That sounds like my kind of party!

momto3isme
by Dawn on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Love all different kinds of dips. 

LOswald0314
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM
I love the idea of mini soup cups with a triangle grilled cheese through a tooth pick on top.
.Angelica.
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM

i never make food, i just show up. lol

AzariahsMother
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I love doing appetizers or doing pot lucks.

AzariahsMother
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I'm also a meat and cheese gal or salsa/dips with chips...yummy! 

Threes.Company
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I always go straight to Pinterest for ideas on party foods!  I am not creative enough to come up with my own ideas!

tayanddyl
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I love these ideas.  I don't allow my kids to over indulge in candy and have been allowing them 2 pieces a day. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement