Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 3 Weeks!

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies

I marked it down. It was Monday November 5...when the first tunes of Christmas carols travelled from my iPhone through my white earphones and into my happy little ears. Yup, it's started for me, getting into the groove of the holiday spirit. It is definitely earlier than last year....I'm not sure why, maybe because of all of the tensions and tough times folks have been dealing with (and many still are), maybe it is because everything seems to be falling earlier on the calendar (Thanksgiving is next week, Hanukkah is on Dec. 8 this year, and so on), maybe it is just because I like holiday tunes, who knows.

It is two weeks until we reach December (true, not quite a countdown til Christmas), but that's when we will be in full-force holiday mode. Once the last month of the year hits, I'll have round-ups of great holiday songs, movies, and when all of the oldie-but-goodie holiday Claymation specials are on, but here are a few simple (and not-too-costly) ways you can begin to get in the holiday spirit.

-- Start playing the holiday tunes. Nothing gets me in the mood faster than the Charlie Brown Christmas Special soundtrack (full confession: I play it year-round).

-- Make some cocoa. Time to stock up on mini marshmallows and whipped cream.

-- Light a fire in your fireplace - or put one on your TV. We've already gotten our first snowfall here in NYC and it was one of those days you really wanted to be snuggled by the crackling fire. Alas, my apartment doesn't have a fireplace, but I did find the Yule log TV channel where they play the image of a flickering fire 24-7 (or you can get it on Netflix here).

-- Heat up some cider on the stove...the smell of cider throughout the house gets everyone in the mood.

-- Watch a holiday movie or TV show. So many to choose from...here's a great round-up from the fabulous ladies at The Stir. As I mentioned, I'll be making my own lists here in a few weeks, but I love last year's flick Arthur Christmas and The Gruffalo, as well as the classic Holiday Inn.

What is your favorite way to get into the holiday spirit?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ mphillips007 

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:01 AM

decorations!! :)  that gets me going... we usually go christmas tree hunting after thanksgiving.. that gets us in the mood too :)

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

that hot cocoa is tempting by the way :)

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:21 AM

Three weeks will be December 13th, my countdown to Christmas gives me a little more time! I love the idea of some cocoa though. I also can't wait to decorate.

baby
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:11 AM

I love to play holiday music or movies to get in "the mood."

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Oh, and Christmas scented candles:  balsam, cinnamon, vanilla

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:12 AM

^^^^ and bayberry!^^^

CameronsMommy23
by Amber on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM
We decorate the tree the night of Thanksgiving or the day after! And I drink cocoa all fall & winter long. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
That's what we do.

Quoting CameronsMommy23:

We decorate the tree the night of Thanksgiving or the day after! And I drink cocoa all fall & winter long. Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sukainah
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Those are good ideas.

I always played the holiday tunes and made cookies.

MamaMandee
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I love Christmas music & listen to it year round too! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement