Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 3 Weeks!

Posted by   + Show Post

I marked it down. It was Monday November 5...when the first tunes of Christmas carols travelled from my iPhone through my white earphones and into my happy little ears. Yup, it's started for me, getting into the groove of the holiday spirit. It is definitely earlier than last year....I'm not sure why, maybe because of all of the tensions and tough times folks have been dealing with (and many still are), maybe it is because everything seems to be falling earlier on the calendar (Thanksgiving is next week, Hanukkah is on Dec. 8 this year, and so on), maybe it is just because I like holiday tunes, who knows.

It is two weeks until we reach December (true, not quite a countdown til Christmas), but that's when we will be in full-force holiday mode. Once the last month of the year hits, I'll have round-ups of great holiday songs, movies, and when all of the oldie-but-goodie holiday Claymation specials are on, but here are a few simple (and not-too-costly) ways you can begin to get in the holiday spirit.

-- Start playing the holiday tunes. Nothing gets me in the mood faster than the Charlie Brown Christmas Special soundtrack (full confession: I play it year-round).

-- Make some cocoa. Time to stock up on mini marshmallows and whipped cream.

-- Light a fire in your fireplace - or put one on your TV. We've already gotten our first snowfall here in NYC and it was one of those days you really wanted to be snuggled by the crackling fire. Alas, my apartment doesn't have a fireplace, but I did find the Yule log TV channel where they play the image of a flickering fire 24-7 (or you can get it on Netflix here).

-- Heat up some cider on the stove...the smell of cider throughout the house gets everyone in the mood.

-- Watch a holiday movie or TV show. So many to choose from...here's a great round-up from the fabulous ladies at The Stir. As I mentioned, I'll be making my own lists here in a few weeks, but I love last year's flick Arthur Christmas and The Gruffalo, as well as the classic Holiday Inn.

What is your favorite way to get into the holiday spirit?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ mphillips007 

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:52 PM

We watch Christmas movies, cocoa and marshmallows,  lights,

countrygirlkat
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I love Christmas music so that is my favorite way!  The kids are also going to write their letters to Santa tonight so that should be fun. 

goddess99
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Hot cocoa, Christmas movie and music.

gacgbaker
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Christmas music always helps me!

Kainalu55
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:16 PM

we have already started decorating!   Our Christmas lights are up!

4kidz916
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I'll be decorating the day after Thanksgiving and once the decorations are up we'll watch a Christmas movie. 

GwenMB
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I love listening to Christmas Carols!  Putting up the decorations is always fun too.

If my boys hear Christmas music or see decorations right now, though, they say "Its not that time of year yet!". lol

.Angelica.
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:59 PM

i dont ever do anything but i could go for some cocoa!

arpazia
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM
I want that cocoa up there!
I like Christmassy candles :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:45 PM

that photo makes me hungry lol...

i like scented candles and hot drinks....and warm fuzzy socks...and snow

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)