Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thinking About Ways to Be Thankful

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.
Thornton Wilder

So much these past weeks, people have been reminded what to be thankful for...even if living without power, you hear moms and dads saying they are thankful that their families are safe. Even if your guy in the election lost, you are thankful for the opportunity to vote. Even if you are on Cloud Nine, you remember to be thankful for all that happened and helped you get up to that cloud.

Next week, we will sit down, many of us saying grace or a prayer or just telling why we are thankful to those around us. But how do we show it besides saying it? Yes, paying it forward with donations of old clothes and time helping neighbors in need are all fantastic, but there are ways to remember to be thankful on a daily basis.

-- Keep a log of thanks. On your bedside table, in your purse, doesn't matter where you keep it, but every day, try to write down at least one thing you are thankful for (and yes, it could be just that you made it through the day).

-- Smile your thanks. Just smiling at folks, strangers in line at the pharmacy, the bus driver, the bank teller...a smile is a simple, silent way to spread a "thanks for all you do and for sharing my world" to others.

-- Make it a family ritual. At dinner or bedtime, have everyone say three things they were thankful for that happened that day. A specific thing, an event, having her favorite lunch served up in the cafeteria...all of it counts.

How do you remember to be thankful every day?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Stacey Newman 

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:50 AM

I look around me,and then remember where I was 5 years ago. I have a lot to be thankful for.

cjsmom1
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:55 AM
I make sure I thank those around me for everything they do.
cjsmom1
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:56 AM
I make sure I donate all of ds's old clothes and toys
cjsmom1
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:59 AM
I make sure I thank all the people who are helping me throughout the day (store clerk, dunkin donuts cashier, etc). Sometimes a thank you and have a great day are nice for them to hear.
cjsmom1
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

I look around me,and then remember where I was 5 years ago. I have a lot to be thankful for.

Remembering how far we've come gives many of us to be thankful. It reminds us how much better we're doing.
suziejax
by Suzie on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:38 AM

we praise God through prayer every day or sing songs or tell each other what we are thankful for during our day to each other. I have raised my kids to be very aware of graidtude and exspress anytime anywhere!

natesmom1228
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I have struggled when I was a single parent of a special needs child. I met my hubby when my son was 7 and he had no problems with my son being special needs and having to be a instant parent (he has no kids and was never married). I am thankful to him everyday.

sukainah
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Those are very good ideas.

I've been reading others write what they are thankful for and it makes me stop and think of what I am thankful for as well.

arpazia
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:47 AM
I make sure to tell my family how thankful I am for them.
Not around the table or anything!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

We made a Thankful Tree - branches stuck in a quart canning jar (or anything that will hold them) with paper you can write what you are thankful for.  You then stick the paper on the branches as leaves.

My boys have enjoyed telling me what they want me to write on the leaves (they are too young to write it themselves).

Once the tree is full, you could put the leaves on a scrapbook page.  I've been writing who said it with the date on the back of each leaf.

I think that, for Christmas, I'll make "leaves" out of Christmas paper & put a Christmas ribbon around the jar.  And then change to other seasonal paper and ribbon as we go through the year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN