Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Thinking About Ways to Be Thankful

Posted by   + Show Post

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.
Thornton Wilder

So much these past weeks, people have been reminded what to be thankful for...even if living without power, you hear moms and dads saying they are thankful that their families are safe. Even if your guy in the election lost, you are thankful for the opportunity to vote. Even if you are on Cloud Nine, you remember to be thankful for all that happened and helped you get up to that cloud.

Next week, we will sit down, many of us saying grace or a prayer or just telling why we are thankful to those around us. But how do we show it besides saying it? Yes, paying it forward with donations of old clothes and time helping neighbors in need are all fantastic, but there are ways to remember to be thankful on a daily basis.

-- Keep a log of thanks. On your bedside table, in your purse, doesn't matter where you keep it, but every day, try to write down at least one thing you are thankful for (and yes, it could be just that you made it through the day).

-- Smile your thanks. Just smiling at folks, strangers in line at the pharmacy, the bus driver, the bank teller...a smile is a simple, silent way to spread a "thanks for all you do and for sharing my world" to others.

-- Make it a family ritual. At dinner or bedtime, have everyone say three things they were thankful for that happened that day. A specific thing, an event, having her favorite lunch served up in the cafeteria...all of it counts.

How do you remember to be thankful every day?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Stacey Newman 

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
MichelleK41
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I personally keep in mind all the devastation that has happened in our USA and appreciate what we have.

KristinRox
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I pray on a regular basis to thank God for EVERYTHING.. for the house I live in, for the warmth, for the food I eat, for my kids and husband and family, for being able to live in a free country. I think God keeps me thankful. 

dusky_rose
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM

We have a lot to be thankful for. I've noticed on FB and on cafemom, people posting what they are thankful for each day this month.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

4kidz916
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Everytime I see my kids, I'm thankful.

Bob192
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM

If you are complaining you are not thankful.  So when I find myself complaining, I say that to myself.

timon95
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:41 PM

we say our thanks and blessing at meal time and before bed. I am always thanking God for the little things that happen everyday.

ReesesPieces
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:09 PM
I have a gratitude journal. I try very hardto write in it every day, but will occasionally miss a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Samanthamommy
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I have a ton to be thankful for! I remember to give thanks, a lot.

Samanthamommy

Very nice!

Quoting ReesesPieces:

I have a gratitude journal. I try very hardto write in it every day, but will occasionally miss a day.

Samanthamommy

That's a good idea.

Quoting timon95:

we say our thanks and blessing at meal time and before bed. I am always thanking God for the little things that happen everyday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)