Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

How to Make A Table Centerpiece For Free!

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this

We head to my in-laws for Thanksgiving every year...my mom-in-law is a great cook, always whips up delicious feast for us. As we are all across different parts of the country, sometimes we have Destination Thanksgivings, meaning we rent a house in some locale and head there. Despite not knowing really what's in the kitchen cupboards or closets and without her own décor to use, my MIL always seems to come up with unique centerpiece ideas for the table just using stuff she finds in the rental house...and often enlisting the kiddos around to help. Here are some fabu MIL-inspired centerpiece ideas that you can make for free...which makes them that more fabu, right?

-- Photo and candle centerpiece. Grab those small-framed photos all around the house and arrange them with votive candles in a formation in the center or as a long row down the table. A great reminder of the main things we are thankful for: family.

-- Nature centerpiece. Send the kids outside and collect cool twigs and rocks and pinecones. Maybe have them paint turkeys on them or cool designs or words like "Blessing" or "Thankful" or "Peace."

-- Minimal centerpiece. Grab some items in common and line them along the table: think lemons, limes, apples and pears all in rows (very sleek but festive). Snag all of your candlesticks and just line them up, even if they don't match perfectly. Get small tumbler glasses, line them up and fill them each with ribbon curled up inside to add pops of color.

-- Thankful centerpiece. Have everyone add something to the centerpiece they are thankful for (or something that represents what they are thankful for or a decorated paper sign with the word on it). You may have your kiddo's teddy bear there, but it is a really great way to bring it back to what the feast is all about.

One hint - use books to add different levels to create a more visually interesting centerpiece. 

What do you use as centerpieces? Which one sounds like something you would try?

©iStockphoto.com/ lucop 

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suziejax
by Suzie on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM
I like the one in the pic I might do something like that
suziejax
by Suzie on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:03 AM

or this I have the stuff in my home to do your example or this one. 

I normally use stuff I already have 

suziejax
by Suzie on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I love center pieces! 

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:13 AM

I use a jar candle and artificial fall leaves.  I like to keep it simple.

deedee3849
by Deanne on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:44 AM

I like the nature centerpiece idea. It would be fun to create something with the kids.

elasmimi
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:51 AM

I love the photo and candle idea. I'd sprinkle friut and nuts along the table too.

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:54 AM
We always have too much food and a ton of people to go all out on the decorating. When it just me and hubby, I put a quilt on the table and decorate around the theme of the quilt.
MommyAddie
by New Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:57 AM
In going to core a few apples and use them as candlesticks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wish2Be
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:57 AM

I love the photo idea ! Thank you !

Wish2Be
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Quoting suziejax:

or this I have the stuff in my home to do your example or this one. 

I normally use stuff I already have 

This is beautiful !

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)