Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thanksgiving Decor Your Kids Can Make

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this

There's nothing quite like Thanksgiving. Festive, fun, but busy, no? You are getting out all of the dishes, shopping for food, cutting up veggies and preparing. Meanwhile, your kids are twiddling their thumbs in the corner, right? Okay, they are probably making a huge fort in the den where you just cleaned up...put them to work! I'm not talking about making your five-year-old slice onions, but why don't you let them make the décor? Check out these ideas.

Create a handprint turkey tablecloth - Grab that white tablecloth and some paints. Set it up perhaps in the basement or outside on the porch and let them make a border of handprint turkeys.  Get some paintbrushes there too, so they can make eyes, draw little pilgrim hats all along the edges. Perfect for the kids table or the table in the den with appetizers.

Make a thankful turkey - Make an outline of a turkey out of poster board or construction paper and have them cut out feathers and write on it what they are thankful for -- or interview you, Gramps, Aunt Mary and all of your houseguests to see what the crowd counts as blessings this year. Put it on the front door as guests arrive.

Give Thanks banner - Get a long piece of yarn or ribbon and some large cardboard squares and have them write one letter per piece of G-I-V-E T-H-A-N-K-S. Then thread the ribbon or yarn through it. Ideal for the mantle.

Placecard fun - I saw this idea over at Parenting.com and thought it was so cool. Have your kids cut out paper placecards for everyone that's coming to your house this year (or who will be at your sister-in-law's house). Then, have the kids write down why they are thankful for that person - be prepared for tears and laughs when they are read out loud.

Share pictures of the crafts your kids make this year!!

©iStockphoto.com/ HKPNC 

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CameronsMommy23
by Amber on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Love the place card idea!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:02 AM

Cute... but my kids are so busy.. maybe I will take some time and do something with them.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Great ideas. I really want Joey to do some crafts this year, but I need something really simple since he just turned two!

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Cute, we are going to do hand print turkeys this year!

cjsmom1
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:17 AM

A hand turkey would be good. Cover his hand in brown paint and push it onto the paper and then make a face. Plus most kids loves finger painting

Quoting jbyrd898:

Great ideas. I really want Joey to do some crafts this year, but I need something really simple since he just turned two!

cjsmom1
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I really like the place card idea, I may just do that today.

ReesesPieces
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM
We made thankful pumpkins at Cub Scouts last night - they turned out really cute and were fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:09 AM
My kids aren't making Thanksgiving crafts this year.
Stevensmomma
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM

very cute ideas

deedee3849
by Deanne on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:28 PM

My son made some Indian corn, a canoe, a turkey and a headband with feathers. I think we may hang them up!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN