Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thanksgiving Decor Your Kids Can Make

Posted by   + Show Post

There's nothing quite like Thanksgiving. Festive, fun, but busy, no? You are getting out all of the dishes, shopping for food, cutting up veggies and preparing. Meanwhile, your kids are twiddling their thumbs in the corner, right? Okay, they are probably making a huge fort in the den where you just cleaned up...put them to work! I'm not talking about making your five-year-old slice onions, but why don't you let them make the décor? Check out these ideas.

Create a handprint turkey tablecloth - Grab that white tablecloth and some paints. Set it up perhaps in the basement or outside on the porch and let them make a border of handprint turkeys.  Get some paintbrushes there too, so they can make eyes, draw little pilgrim hats all along the edges. Perfect for the kids table or the table in the den with appetizers.

Make a thankful turkey - Make an outline of a turkey out of poster board or construction paper and have them cut out feathers and write on it what they are thankful for -- or interview you, Gramps, Aunt Mary and all of your houseguests to see what the crowd counts as blessings this year. Put it on the front door as guests arrive.

Give Thanks banner - Get a long piece of yarn or ribbon and some large cardboard squares and have them write one letter per piece of G-I-V-E T-H-A-N-K-S. Then thread the ribbon or yarn through it. Ideal for the mantle.

Placecard fun - I saw this idea over at Parenting.com and thought it was so cool. Have your kids cut out paper placecards for everyone that's coming to your house this year (or who will be at your sister-in-law's house). Then, have the kids write down why they are thankful for that person - be prepared for tears and laughs when they are read out loud.

Share pictures of the crafts your kids make this year!!

©iStockphoto.com/ HKPNC 

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
AzariahsMother
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

DD has not made anything this year.  She is 12 and thinks she is way to old for this kiddy stuff.  However, since we are going to do a small dinner at my house maybe I will go to Michael's and find some kind of craft to do.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:47 AM

My daughter made these last month:

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:48 AM

^^^ she found colorful autumn leaves, ironed them between 2 sheets of waxed paper, and glued them to the back of a cardboard mat.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Quoting deedee3849:

My son made some Indian corn, a canoe, a turkey and a headband with feathers. I think we may hang them up!

cute

baby
deedee3849
by Deanne on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Placecards are a fun idea!

MDWife12
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:12 PM

decorations that kids make are so cute :)

MDWife12
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:13 PM
tfs
deedee3849
by Deanne on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

That's pretty! I remember making those when I was a kid.

outer.banks
by New Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:42 AM

They made a few crafts at school the week before Thanksgiving. They were very proud of their work.

outer.banks
by New Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Very cute!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Join us in the North Carolina Moms group!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement