Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Holiday Countdown! 2 Weeks!

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 26 Replies
2 moms liked this

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! It begs the question: who here has their tree already? I know many folks put up the tree as part of the Thanksgiving weekend festivities; others wait a week or so. As we have only two weeks until December comes sledding in, it's time to think about the tree, right? I'm all for those elegant, monochrome or theme trees, in all white or all red or all bell ornaments or birds, but I also am partial to those trees decked out in an eclectic style, full of homemade ornaments. Feel like making your own?  Here are a few ideas that looked pretty simple (and can be used as gifts too!).

This one from So September is totally holiday prep. Using a knitting round and other bits from the craft store, you can make them in almost any size or color. Super stylish.

We are all about origami this year and I found this easy how-to on Creature Comforts. The boxes are so cute and you can use almost any paper, really.

This fabulously simple ornament was on Pinterest, which led me to Good Housekeeping. Use any ribbon you'd like...also perfect to adorn presents for co-workers and teachers.

On ForWhatItsWorth-or Not, I saw this really great idea. You know those puzzle pieces you have no clue where they go to - or puzzles your kids never use? Glue some of them together and get googley eyes and bam, you've got a Rudolph ornament. This one the kids can do too!

These wishing spool ornaments from Family Fun are such a cool idea for a tradition to start up. On a spool, wrap your child's wish list for Santa. Mark it with the year. Think about when their kids see them years from now - priceless.

I dig this one from Christopher and Tia because it is so simple, you can do it while watching the latest holiday movie over on Lifetime. Get some small wreath forms and a bunch of yarn and start wrapping. Anything goes - any style, any design. Love it.

Do you make your own tree decorations? Share you favorite homemade decoration!

©iStockphoto.com/ Yew

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:38 AM

LOVE the spool ornament idea!

Yes, we've made ornaments almost every year.  I've used craft foam and misc. odds & ends:  Cut out shapes using cookie cutters and decorate with glitter, bits of fabric or trims, buttons, etc. 

I've also made cinnamon ornaments a few years.  Those are plenty of fun for everyone to make, and they smell GREAT!

We buy bead kits to make beaded ornaments.  The clear beads catch the sparkle of the lights and the ornaments last for years.

I tried gingerbread cookies as ornaments, but the dog ate them.

I'm a stitcher, so I've made several stitched (cross stitch or felt applique) ornaments.

We've painted wooden ornaments.

This year we've got some stained glass kits to make ornaments.

MDWife12
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

We have way too many decorations for the tree, they have all been given to us. I don't make our own decorations but it might be fun to do from time to time :)

MDWife12
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:58 PM

We usually don't put our decorations up until a couple weeks into December :)

AzariahsMother
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM

These are really cool idea's.  Thanks for sharing.

AzariahsMother
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I'm really in love with this one.  I think this is so cool.

AzariahsMother
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM

We really don't make anything.  DD has made stuff in the past like at daycare and stuff that I still have, but other then that we will buy.

cjsmom1
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:09 PM
We're going to put up our tree this weekend.
cjsmom1
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Ds and I make ornaments every year. I want to try and make cinnamon ornaments every this year.
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:20 AM

I love the puzzle, spool and rings ornaments!! what a great idea to keep your children's wish lists... now I want to do this lol..

I used to make our own ornaments, one year i even made them out of ceramic!! it was crazy, I had to pour it in molds and bake them and after that clean them and paint them.. my son was 2 and I was not working... but now with a full schedule I am lucky if I have time to decorate! lol

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:22 AM

I think we might go cut the tree this weekend.. not sure yet. But I usually wait until december is here to do so.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement