Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

So while I love that Kmart is doign the free layaway has anyone else experienced their rules that go with it?

Here in SC it is as follows:

10% of the total layaway cost down

no service charge (their freebie part supposedly) Has anyone seen their layway signs, really? It reads either a service charge of $10 or 10% of the total of the layaway whichever is larger see vent one, so nope still not free.

toys can only be laid away for four weeks

$10 cancellation fee even if for a short period layaway

The frugal person I have to be for a family of six I found nothing free about this layaway plan. While I did not expect it to be completely free we all know there is small print. The thing is a 4 week toy layaway really?  Oh yeah you do not find this out by any store advertisement just small print reading there may be exclusions outside the 8 or 12 week layaway, no mention of a toy exclusion. So you shop for your child, head to layaway after spending hours in the store toy shopping and then BAM they hit you with the toy exclusion. HUGE bummer for this frugal mom and yes I started before the holiday with said layaway, sigh.

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Replies (31-32):
cjsmom1
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I looked into Layaway at Walmart and there's is ridiculous. No clothes, all toys must be over $15, and a bunch of other rules. My thing is that many people who use layaway are getting things like clothes because they can't afford to buy everything and count the clothes as a gift.

cjsmom1
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I went to Toys R Us and used their layaway and didn't have any problems.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)