Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kmart Vent

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:04 PM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this

So while I love that Kmart is doign the free layaway has anyone else experienced their rules that go with it?

Here in SC it is as follows:

10% of the total layaway cost down

no service charge (their freebie part supposedly) Has anyone seen their layway signs, really? It reads either a service charge of $10 or 10% of the total of the layaway whichever is larger see vent one, so nope still not free.

toys can only be laid away for four weeks

$10 cancellation fee even if for a short period layaway

The frugal person I have to be for a family of six I found nothing free about this layaway plan. While I did not expect it to be completely free we all know there is small print. The thing is a 4 week toy layaway really?  Oh yeah you do not find this out by any store advertisement just small print reading there may be exclusions outside the 8 or 12 week layaway, no mention of a toy exclusion. So you shop for your child, head to layaway after spending hours in the store toy shopping and then BAM they hit you with the toy exclusion. HUGE bummer for this frugal mom and yes I started before the holiday with said layaway, sigh.

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

...just a few of the many reasons I don't use layaway. I hate the small print because that's where they get ya.

MichelleK41
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Yep and I understand nothing is free but the wording is misleading and it would be nice to get a heads up on the toy exclusion before you shop. But its yet another retail tactic to get people in the store.

Quoting michiganmom116:

...just a few of the many reasons I don't use layaway. I hate the small print because that's where they get ya.

michiganmom116
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

agree!

Quoting MichelleK41:

Yep and I understand nothing is free but the wording is misleading and it would be nice to get a heads up on the toy exclusion before you shop. But its yet another retail tactic to get people in the store.

Quoting michiganmom116:

ReesesPieces
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I cannot stand Kmart. They are almost always more expensive than other stores.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleK41
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Yep even on candles. I have found good discounts when they want to clearance out items that are seasonal. But reg. prices are a couple $ more than other stores. Walmart cust. service sucks so I do not like it there due to that reason. 30 registers, maybe 5 open 3 which are always 20 items or less.

Quoting ReesesPieces:

I cannot stand Kmart. They are almost always more expensive than other stores.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never used lawaway-but that sounds like it sucks!

suziejax
by Suzie on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:51 PM

O I agree! Its not free they had been adverstising it as such. Then I saw in an ad after all that adverstising later how much you have to put down etc etc.

MichelleK41
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Yeah def. misleading advertising.

Quoting suziejax:

O I agree! Its not free they had been adverstising it as such. Then I saw in an ad after all that adverstising later how much you have to put down etc etc.

MichelleK41
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Yep disappointing about layaway and it was not even the holidays yet.

Quoting jbyrd898:

I've never used lawaway-but that sounds like it sucks!

suziejax
by Suzie on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I hate it when it happens

Quoting MichelleK41:

Yeah def. misleading advertising.

Quoting suziejax:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)