Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So while I love that Kmart is doign the free layaway has anyone else experienced their rules that go with it?

Here in SC it is as follows:

10% of the total layaway cost down

no service charge (their freebie part supposedly) Has anyone seen their layway signs, really? It reads either a service charge of $10 or 10% of the total of the layaway whichever is larger see vent one, so nope still not free.

toys can only be laid away for four weeks

$10 cancellation fee even if for a short period layaway

The frugal person I have to be for a family of six I found nothing free about this layaway plan. While I did not expect it to be completely free we all know there is small print. The thing is a 4 week toy layaway really?  Oh yeah you do not find this out by any store advertisement just small print reading there may be exclusions outside the 8 or 12 week layaway, no mention of a toy exclusion. So you shop for your child, head to layaway after spending hours in the store toy shopping and then BAM they hit you with the toy exclusion. HUGE bummer for this frugal mom and yes I started before the holiday with said layaway, sigh.

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
aj23
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:02 PM
I put some things on layaway and there were no fees (other than a cancellation fees). I just had to put the $15 down. Its $15 or 10% down which isn't a fee, its a payment. The paperwork and signs still had the regular fee amounts but they didn't actually charge them.
I started mine online but I know the stores here are the same.
There isn't a toy exception here either. Kmart is the only place other than Toys R Us I can find Chuggington toys and certain Thomas and Friends toys so that's what is mainly in my layaway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleK41
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:40 PM

My guess they will say each state or franchise runs theirs differently. Wish we had your policy here.

Quoting aj23:

I put some things on layaway and there were no fees (other than a cancellation fees). I just had to put the $15 down. Its $15 or 10% down which isn't a fee, its a payment. The paperwork and signs still had the regular fee amounts but they didn't actually charge them.
I started mine online but I know the stores here are the same.
There isn't a toy exception here either. Kmart is the only place other than Toys R Us I can find Chuggington toys and certain Thomas and Friends toys so that's what is mainly in my layaway.

deedee3849
by Deanne on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I had no idea those were the rules! Thanks for warning us! I don't use layaway but I'm sure others in here do.

AzariahsMother
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I only did a tv once years ago not during the holidays.  I guess I never really looked that deep into it.

QuiltLover
by Jocelynn on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:11 PM
4 weeks isn't very long for a layaway...I realize that it is late as of now, but we only get paid twice a month, so I might as well buy half from one paycheck and half from the next. Wouldn't be a good fit for me. I start way early and buy all year for the grandkids, with six of them I don't want a big ouch come gift giving time. And then there are the birthdays....two in Oct, and two in Dec...so yeah, gotta start early here.
MichelleK41
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Yeah I actually wanted to do this before the holidays, hence I would have liked the 8 weeks, and was surprised about the toy layaway time limit. It wasn't like this last year here. They said it is due to over stock in the back room so space was limited for toy layaway. Either way it was still misleading, had I known about the 4 week deal I would not have bothered to even shop and go to layaway. But yeah it was better to wait til' pay day. The so called free layaway actually started in Sept. here. I would not have minded paying a dp of 1/2 the total amount if they had given me an 8 or 12 week layaway. They should have just left it alone.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:50 AM

I don't do layaway

clowry02
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM

yeah don't care for there layaway either

Stevensmomma
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:12 AM

i dont do layaway thats why ! 

MichelleK41
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Yep I am done as well, gave it a try and that's it.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

i dont do layaway thats why ! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)